• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

prop waves?

20lbSloughShark

I have been running this outboard for 2 years now. It is a 1984 Johnson 40 hp tiller. One thing that comes up once in a while, is the front edge of the prop will randomly get a "wave" in it. I have never hit rocks, or even sandy bottom. I have dug up mucky bottom plenty of times though. I am wondering what exactly is causing these. The thing is, its not like they show up after I hit bottom. Usually its after a typical day, and out of the blue, there is a new one. I think there are 5 or so now. I'd say about an 1" wide, and no evidence that it hit something like a crack or scraping. Its just a wave in the prop. I don't notice performance changes yet. I have a spare prop, what is happening to cause this? I'll see if I can get pictures up this weekend.

Guys I know will say its the age of the motor and suggest to buy a newer 4 stroke w/stainless steel prop. I don't know if that is the solution here. Is it possible that you are hitting something in the mud/muck? Clams can cause a lot of damage, especially the bearded ones.

Guys I know will say its the age of the motor and suggest to buy a newer 4 stroke w/stainless steel prop. I don't know if that is the solution here. Is it possible that you are hitting something in the mud/muck? Clams can cause a lot of damage, especially the bearded ones.

Chunks of wood can be in the muck also. If you want a ss prop, buy one for the motor you have.

But I don't quite get what you mean by "waves" in the prop. Like material missing? Or the leading edge is bent?

Chunks of wood can be in the muck also. If you want a ss prop, buy one for the motor you have.

But I don't quite get what you mean by "waves" in the prop. Like material missing? Or the leading edge is bent?

I don't follow either. I think we need a picture.

I don't think SS is the way to go either. When SS hits something it will probably end up breaking something else up the chain.

I might be able to get a picture up this weekend. It buried under feet of snow right now. It's really hard to describe. From every prop I've seen that hit rocks or something else hard, it took a gouge out of the prop. Sometimes not very big, but it at least left a scratch. Mine looks like it hasn't hit anything. Its just kind of warping/bending on the leading edge. Its not on the tips like most either. It happens right in the middle of the edge, with no damage to the ends. That's about the best description I can give. I can't find any pictures like it on the internet.

I'm going to put in my $.02 smile

Years back ( yes I'm OLD!!) I saw a prop that had what looked like a wave going across one of the ears. Thought I was seeing things, but was told it had got run thru heavy mud and muck. The motor torque was enough to flex the blade and cause that.

Send your prop in to get repaired before the repair shops are flooded with spring business. Afterward, keep your motor trimmed up enough to avoid the muck. Your motor and prop are not made to go through that stuff plenty of times. If that's a vintage 1984 prop, it's got 30 years of weakening on it

Well, its not bad to where its affecting performance yet. I just wanted to know why its happening. I have a spare prop if I need it. It easy to say keep it trimmed up. When you don't have power tilt, you can only hold it up so long before you just say screw it, I have a spare. Its not like I do it every time either, maybe 10 times a year.