• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Livewell Plumbing

Kyhl

I think my livewell plumbing sprung a leak. The last couple of times that the livewell was run the boat had water in the hull. The hull is dry if the livewell is not used.

Any suggestions on where to start?

How to test for leaks?

Replacement pumps and plumbing?

This is on an '04 Alumacraft Tourney Sport and there is only one access hole in the transom. The access hole is big enough to get one arm into the transome area. What is the best way to access the plumbing? I'm leaning toward pulling the entire rear livewell.

Thoughts?

I had the same problem in a lund for 2 years . Finally I got serious about it one day and put the boat in the water and watched through the small access hole , it was obvious in a few seconds that a short hose from the pump was split. I thought it would be a hard fix but went real easy and was done in 15 minutes . I used black poly water line.

Kyhl,

this has happened to my Lund a few times and every time I always thought it was a hose and every time it was a crack in the pump itself. Keep a thought open to that as the culprit to your problem, it can take some time and frustration to figure out. A good task to do before the walleye season opens if we have open water available by then.

Kyhl,

this has happened to my Lund a few times and every time I always thought it was a hose and every time it was a crack in the pump itself. Keep a thought open to that as the culprit to your problem, it can take some time and frustration to figure out. A good task to do before the walleye season opens if we have open water available by then.

+1 on our 97 Alumacraft. Pumps crack easier than hoses, as hoses are usually rubber. Look at the plastic fittings (T's, L's, etc.) too.

Sounds like the only way to test it is to drop it in the water and take a look. Figures.

I do need this fixed by opener so open water will be a must unless I start throwing parts at it randomly or a complete plumbing replacement.

Of course need is relative but I'm planning to pre-fish a tournament a few days after opener and a working livewell and floating boat are kind of important for that to happen. So this isn't something I want to troubleshoot for half the season. I intend be on open water weeks before opener. I'll drag it to IA to make it happen if I have too but I was hoping there was a way to test or troublshoot in my driveway.

Not sure what the water pick up for the live well is on your boat but it usually is a threaded tube through the transom. With a reducer you can hook a garden hose up direct. Was at a dealership this summer that did this to all new boats.

Not sure what the water pick up for the live well is on your boat but it usually is a threaded tube through the transom. With a reducer you can hook a garden hose up direct. Was at a dealership this summer that did this to all new boats.

This is what I'd start with as well... you can quickly rule out plumbing / pump problems this way.

marine_man