• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Breakwall Fishing Mid to Late March?

I've never fished the Break Wall in Two Harbors before, but I'd really like to give it a shot. I believe Superior is open for fishing all year long, so when my buddy is on his spring break (before regular opener) we'd like to try something new.

Does anyone know if the fishing is good and typically what species can be found during mid-late March? We're planning on going for a few days somewhere between March 17th and the 23rd. We're just planning on catch and release, and would like to try and hook into the biggest bites possible for some fun.

Assuming the temperature is in the average for March, will this be a good time to go or no? What sorts of baits/lures should we use? Thanks for any info!

Thanks for the heads up. Do you live around the area? It would be nice to know if the harbor was fishable during the time I plan on leaving. I can work around the cold (so long as it doesn't drive the fish away) but no sense driving 3+ hours to be greeted by ice.

post a question on the Duluth forum a few days before you plan on coming. Lots of us drive by there often enough and can provide current conditions.

March is a little early for the breakwall. as it sure could be iced in, but every year is different. If not the breakwall, you might well be able to cast for kam[PoorWordUsage]s rainbows from shore at the French or other spots along the lower shore.

Currently the outside is being fished for coho salmon using long rods. White looper bugs tipped with a wax worm, small Cleo spoons, KO Wobblers and night crawlers are all producing some days. The inside is iced over and can be ice fished for white fish and even the occasional coho or lake trout but BE SAFE and check conditions before venturing out.