• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tamrons new 150-600

Is anyone else having the urge to try one of these? Release date is supposed to be Jan.17th. I recently sold my 300F/4, I never could get used to the fixed focal lenght for what I used it for ( retriever events), was a bit short for wildlife, and wasn't a very sharp copy. So was on the hunt for a 100-400 and then seen what Tamron was coming out with, same price as a used 100-400, more reach and from the sample images that are on the web, it seems to be pretty sharp.

There are always compromises at those prices. Likely auto focus speed will be a bit on the slow side and you will need VERY good light to even consider hand holding it even with VR. The Tamron 200-500 is considered a decent lens again sacrificing some focus speed so hopefully this one will impress as well.

A ? for you Dan. What about a teleconverter TC-17EII on my 18-300 Nikor Lens. What would 70% increase make it? 510mm? About 500 bucks so half the cost. I have been thinking of getting some more zoom for wildlife. Thanks!

There are always compromises at those prices. Likely auto focus speed will be a bit on the slow side and you will need VERY good light to even consider hand holding it even with VR. The Tamron 200-500 is considered a decent lens again sacrificing some focus speed so hopefully this one will impress as well.

I agree I don't expect it to be a fast lens, I had ( borrowed ) a 100-400 for a month last summer and found the same thing you needed good light and focus was much slower than my 70-200. And there are alot of times my 70-200 works just fine for shooting HT and Field trials but this might fill in just fine when I come up a bit short, plus without "good" light the images typically aren't worth taking. W'ell find out..

A ? for you Dan. What about a teleconverter TC-17EII on my 18-300 Nikor Lens. What would 70% increase make it? 510mm? About 500 bucks so half the cost. I have been thinking of getting some more zoom for wildlife. Thanks!

I am not super familiar with Nikon but my understanding is the TC-17EII was designed only for f/2.8 AF-S or AF-I fixed focal length super telephoto lenses. The rear element will likely stick out and not even mount on your camera. Third party TC's will be the only route likely.

Keep in mind there are NO free lunches with trying to get extra reach outside spending vast amounts of money on lenses designed for long reach. Using a TC to extend reach gives you loss of aperture coupled with the longer focal length, poor focus speed and accuracy (and in many cases loss of auto focus) requires really good light and excellent shooting technique to get decent results.

The most used budget wildlife lens out there might be the Sigma 150-500. Quality varies a bit with Sigma and focus accuracy but when a decent copy is obtained it produces good results. The lens Todd has mentioned looks like it might also be a contender in this price range. Tamron makes an 80-400 and the previously mentioned 200-500 that often gets mentioned. Third party is really the only way to go on a budget (and who isn't on one of those).

The best option for most folks is invoke your stalking skills and hiding abilities to get closer to your prey. Not always easy but that is where the real satisfaction comes in!

Hi Dan, I have been watching the chatter on FM (photo site)(didn't want you long time users thinking it was Fishing Minnesota) about this new lens. I have an interest in more reach, but want to see what the reviews and shots are like after a couple of months of others using the new lens.

I've got a Sigma 150-500 that I've used on several nikons, currently the D7100, and I've been very satisfied with it compromises and all. I was ale to pick it up used for about $800. I had great luck with the lens on a D90 out in Yellowstone a few years ago. Good luck.

The best option for most folks is invoke your stalking skills and hiding abilities to get closer to your prey. Not always easy but that is where the real satisfaction comes in!

I definitely agree with that. However, unless you aren't afraid of trespassing, it isn't always an option.