• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking for help with a polaris

fishingstar

Wife is bringing home a 98 440 xcr. It is a lady's kids that she works with I don't know much about Polaris. I'm told idles fine but will only top out 45mph. I'm hopping the exhaust valve lust need to be cleaned.

Anybody have experience with this model?

Dan

Is it Red or is it White? (I had both, but my white XC 440 was a 1997 model). Polaris made a 98 440 XC that was white and had the Fugi 440 non VES twin, This was a pretty good all around sled. Polaris also made a 98 440 XCR that was red and was a VES engine. The Red XCR 440 was the factory race sled for that year (it was nick-named the Red Rocket and also remember it being called the EXorcist)and was very hard to get to run right, when it ran right and you held it wide open most of the time it was crazy fast for a 440... but needed to have jets changed for every little change in temp. This of course was no big deal for the racers. If it is the Red XCR race sled and some ladies kid had it, it most likely has jumped every driveway in the state or was used on the track for the 1st couple of years. If it was me I would stay away from the red XCR 440 unless you really like to ride wide open and do a lot of tinkering.

Get a brand new belt first and then try it. Not one that has been with the sled but a brand spanking new one. Then scuff the sides of the belt with a scotchbrite pad and wash it with soap and water to get the oils off. That's the easiest thing to try first. If that doesn't take care of it then move on to working on the clutches. A good old fashioned carb cleaning would be in order too.

This is a repair job I'm not buying. It is the red xcr. This thing has not had any maintenance done to it. Looks like a carb cleaning, ves cleaning and a clutch cleaning is do. then go from there. I'm thinking the exhaust valves are stuck causing no top end.

Dan