• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

combo for bucktails

esoxhunter11

The spool diameter, when full of line, makes a big difference in the amount of line recovered per handle turn regardless of gear ratios. Some reels with a slower ratio may indeed pick up more line than a reel with a faster gear ratio. I, personally, would use the power gear Tranx over the high gear Tranx for big blades any day after having used both. Both reels are awesome, but the power gear is way easier on the arms at the end of the day.

A 7.1 : 1 would be pretty tough to use with big blades I would think.

TI rods are nice if you like longer handles, I prefer the 16" handle on the Okuma rods. Both are great values.

9'3 Okuma XH (or TI equivilent) is is a very versitile rod that will handle 10's and double as a Mag Dawg rod. Will / can also throw lighter stuff as well. Remember for large blades you need it stiff enough to reduce flex on figure 8's, this is a major source of fatique if you are underspined.

For spinnerbaits and regular bucktails (mepps maribou, vibrax etc...)i really like the Shimano Compre Series, I'll be looking at their new 9'er this year.

For reels i would not suggest over a 5.4:1 for a cranking rod. You just will not enjoy it. There are lots of options and depending on use level can be very affordable or very expensive. I use a Abu 7000i for big stuff and Revo's for smaller stuff.

For jerkbaits a 6.4:1 or more is good for jerkbaits where you are using the rod to move the bait and the reel for line pickup.

No since it will have no power behind the turns your doing all the work with high ratios, at least with big baits, with the low ratios the reel is doing the work. If you are tossing topwaters or other baits with little to no resistance then those high ratios are awesome but with big blades and big rubber that has resistance no so much