• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thompson Center Muzzleloaders

I had a TC Impact and am looking to upgrade to another TC model. What are your personal reviews on other TC Muzzleloaders- Bone Collector, Pro Hunter etc.. I'm also looking at getting a wood stock with the thumbhole. Any personal reviews on them also are welcome.

Thanks.

I'm a TC guy - I have 3 right now. A Bone Colletor, Encore and a New Englander. I really like the Bone Collector for accuracy and it's a breeze to clean. The Encore/Pro Hunter is also very nice and would be a better fit for a thumbhole stock I believe. I put a Pro Hunter stock on mine which I like for hunting situations over the walnut stock, plus you can purchase other caliber barrels that you can use for other hunting situations. I have a 7MM barrel that I can change too,a 22-250 barrel or use it as a muzzleloader. For my .02 cents, I would say get a TC Triumph BC if you want it keep it for muzzy hunting only, you won't be disappointed based on my experiences with it. I'm not sure if you can get a thumbhole stock for that model but I know you can for the Pro Hunter if you go that route. I have a couple of other muzzleloaders as well, but if I had to pick one I would go with the Bone Collector. I have not shot a lot of other brands lately, however I think there are some good ones out on the market these days. I'm pretty much hooked on TC's - very accurate dependable guns in my opinion, a little pricy but I think you get what you pay for.

I like my Pro Hunter FX thumbhole stock for the most part. Probably the biggest drawback that I see is the length of the ram rod. Seems to be a little shorter due the hinge action.

I picked it because it felt the best for me to shoulder and had a nice balance that I just didn't feel in other MLs, not even the Bone Collector. I picked the thumbhole stock due to experience with a friends Omega that has a thumbhole as well. Very comfortable to handle and shoot. I didn't get the Omega because the drop block kept closing up on me when I was cleaning it and figured the hinge action would work better. Not sure it was the best choice.

If I were to buy over again, I wouldn't get the FX. I'd either save the money and go with the Omega or step up to the Pro Hunter Encore so I could swap barrels.

I started muzzle loading with a Knight ML many years ago. My son bought an Encore and I used his one year and I loved the quality and the feel. I came across an auction about 5 yrs ago and bid on a new Prohunter and an Encore hoping to get one of the two and ended up getting both guns. The ProHunter is really easy to disassemble and clean. The breech plug turns out by hand. Both are very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. They both have the regular stocks. I have a friend I've hunted with for many years and he has another brand but he is ready to go TC. He has shot both of mine and always comments he wish he had one.

I plan to get a Pro Hunter FX this month sometime. I've been looking for a while and it was between the Encore and a CVA Accura MR. I would really like to get a regular Pro Hunter but they're hard to find on the shelves and also quite a bit more money. I figured if there was some other caliber that I wanted I would just get another rifle. Cabelas has the stainless/composite FX on sale for the month of December for 499 which is 150 off the normal price.

Looks like my choices are the bone collector in a regular stock or the pro hunter that I can get the thumbhole stock. I really like the feel of the PH with the thumbhole at Cabelas when I was there but will just be using it for muzzleloading. Maybe I'll get the PH or the BC. Maybe I'll just flip a coin. smile

Looks like my choices are the bone collector in a regular stock or the pro hunter that I can get the thumbhole stock. I really like the feel of the PH with the thumbhole at Cabelas when I was there but will just be using it for muzzleloading. Maybe I'll get the PH or the BC. Maybe I'll just flip a coin. smile

I liked both about the same but decided on the PH mainly because it doesn't say Bone Collector on it. A buddy has the original Encore and that thing is a deer killing machine.

I picked up a Pro Hunter FX with the regular stock last week. I'm planning on mounting a scope with quick release mounts for gun season and removing the scope for ML season. I also want to put a peep on it. I'm excited to get out and shoot some groups. I plan to use Blackhorn 209 and probably start with either shockwaves or something from Barnes.

I use the BH 209. Really clean stuff. Shot 300 gr Hornady SST with a 100 gr. of powder through my Impact. Great groups. I'll try it again to see if this gun likes it or try some of the Barnes bullets.

I've never put a peep on before. I believe I put it on the farthest back place where the scope would goe then take off the factory rear sight. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are right. If the rifle is sighted in with the regular open sights you might want to leave the rear sight on to get your peep sight set close to where you want it, then take it off.

That's what I did. Can't wait to throw some rounds through it to get it dialed in.