• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold weather effect on bows

MUSKY18

Just got to thinking with the super cold temps we have going on right now, what effects does this have on bows? Is it hard on them to be shooting them in this super cold? Limbs have a chance of being damaged? Cams freeze up? I am still looking to get out for a couple more sits, but don't want to take the chance of my bow getting damaged because of the cold. Thoughts?

Shouldn't be any issues with the bow itself, but try to get a few practice shots in with all your clothes on. You might be surprised how that affects the flight of the arrow.

Also, I've had problems with my drop-away rest not dropping when it gets real cold. Just manually move it up and down a few times to loosen it up and you should be good to go.

I had something kind of strange happen to me. The last morning I went out was super cold, when I pulled my bow back to check everything out before I walked to my stand it seem like my peep had rotated a bit. Later that morning after sitting I pulled back and checked again and it was rotated still.

Put the bow in my case and went home, forgot about it for a few days and then pulled it out to check again and it's normal.

Seems to me if you sat out in your stand for a few hours in these temps and bumped your cam on something like a frozen metal ladder it wouldn't be good. They might be more tough then we think though, wouldn't stop me either way I bought the stuff to use it.

Last year on New Years Eve I had an arrow explode coming out of the bow. Not sure if it already had an un-noticed crack or if it was an issue due to the cold. I think the high was like 5 degrees or something that day.

That won't prevent me from hunting in the cold though as I view that more as a freak event.

I have noticed on one of my bows that my arrows hit a bit low when it is really cold but this is during practice at 50 yards (which is my normal practice distance). I think it has to do with the string material and the bow having a 101inch string length. Probably not a problem at more typical hunting distances.

The other thing I have had happen is my arrow holder which holds the arrow on the shelf gets too stiff and doesn't want to let go of the arrow when the drop away tried to lift the arrow out of the holder. That cost me a deer one cold December AM. Since then, I cut the holder down so it doesn't hold the arrow so tightly.