• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hit Cabelas today for our anual trip....

I really only went up socially as I didn't need much as far as gear was concerned. Well no one was there to keep me in check so things went down hill fast. I knew I needed some of the smallest duo-locks they make. I had a bunch of them but couldn't find them any where going thru my ice gear and open water gear last weekend. I also knew I wanted to pick up a "few" more tungsten jigs. I was specifically looking for the new clam jigs and the Maki plastics. Well the first tungsten jigs I came across were the same ones I bought last yr. Skandia or something like that. I didn't see any other tungsten there so I grabbed a few more. By now all of us had dispersed to our own areas of needs and I found myself alone. Then the next isle I found the new clam jigs. I picked out an assortment and some of the Maki plastics to go with them. Man they don't give them away. The $$ was adding up fast. Then I saw some more tungsten jigs. These were made by custom jigs or something like that. I really like the looks of some of those so I added more to the now growing pile. Please someone came back here and put an end to this... I was at this point out of control. My eyes saw and I wanted. I was a bit disappointed to not see many patterns that matched some of my "favorite" traditional paint jobs. But most were close enough I guess. Time on the water will tell. OK I had enough jigs and plastics I managed to pull myself away from that isle. Still alone I wandered in search of the duo-locks that I "needed". Well they have rearranged the store since my last visit and the area that the duo-locks used to be in was now a saltwater section (I pulled myself away). I came across some more Pline fluorocarbon coated line in 4lb test and figured heck while I'm here might as well pick up a couple spools. Ok that was relatively painless and something I will use both in open or hard water. As I crossed back the isle dangerously close to the pay dirt tungsten jig isle I notice on the end cap hidden amongst swedish pimples and other hard body darter type baits is my secret weapon for lake trout last yr. I was crushed to know that the lure I discovered (can't remember exactly how I found out about it) and shared with a select few was now sold to everyone LOCAL! Is nothing sacred anymore? You will notice I have not named the lure, and I wont! It's a matter of principal now.

Anyway I'm hoping to squeak out another lake trout season without too many people catching on and using these. I did point it out to my buddies as they rejoined me (after putting two of the better colors in my basket....). OK, time to focus...... Duo-locks. I head off only to run into Expedition outdoors tungsten jigs! I loaded up on a bunch of them as well..............Now I had Mark help me as we started to search more isles for the duo-locks. I was able to keep myself in check after several stops but nothing went into the basket. I think I am coming out of the trance at this point. Then I found the duo-locks. Of course only store brand and a 72 pack to boot. $8 for 72....I don't need that many. No choice, in the basket it goes. I use these for the chubby dater type lures. Last goal was to find tube jigs and see if they had anymore glow in the dark Cabelas brand. They were Aqua glow something like that. They work great for lakers. Found the tubes and was surprised not much of a selection there and no aqua glow either. OK head to the bargain cave and out we go. Scanning the cave I spied a bag of Aqua glows, green with red flake and grab them. Ed came by and I offered them to him since he didn't have any at home. I still have a pack and a half or two..... At this point Mark, Ed and I head for the register but not before picking up two bags of coated cashews. Dana and his wife meet us at the register and we headed to Famous Dave's for lunch. Not a bad day. I spent waaay too much on jigs, as usual. I hope I can get myself to try them all when fishing slows up.

The worst part of the day was cleaning the eyes open and separating the jigs into compartments, which I usually do by color. But I decided to organize the tungsten jigs by manufacture so I could tell which "Brand" I liked better when replenishing. The absolute worst part of the day came when I went to put my secret laker lures in my laker bag with the rest of the secret lures. What do you suppose was in the box with this style lure? Yup my small bag of duo-locks......I found them. So $8 wasted on 72 duo-locks I didn't need........

I should be more concerned with the jigs I bought that I didn't need, lol.

Spike