• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Off-Season Banter

It get's a little quiet in this forum during the winter months.

I figure I might as well get a thread started where those that want to can shoot the breeze about whatever.

April is a ways away, some of my canoe gear I will not need until then, but today I'm going to make the switch towards winter activities. So I'll need my PFD for early ice, and the Troller get's moved from the thwart to the ice fishing bag.......etc.

The canoe is hung, I figure I'll bring my wooden paddles inside, can't hurt. I'm looking forward to getting out on the ice next weekend, and as I'm sitting in my shanty, I'm guessing I'll be thinking of an early ice out and when I can break out the canoe once again. smile

Feel free to post whatever......

Christmas paddling gift ideas.

Trips you'd like to take next year.

Wants, gear needs, heck...... even a rant or two might make things more interesting around here. grin

Good idea, Duff.

I'm considering a few different options for "big" trips next year. Not sure yet what I want to do. Unfortunately, most of my canoeing buddies have started reproducing, so it's getting harder and harder to get any trips of any decent length. The Significant Other is tougher than most of my male canoeing partners, but she doesn't get any time off, so that's out, too.

Options/Dreams:

1) Thru-hike the Superior Hiking Trail. I did it more than a few years ago, but it'd be fun to try it in the opposite direction. It's tough for me to go 15 days or so without fishing, though.

2) Solo canoe trip from Atikokan to Ely. I've done a few solo trips, but nothing that ambitious.

3) Another run up to Woodland Caribou or Wabakimi. Picking between these two places is like a parent being forced to explain which of his children he loves more.

4) Of course, there's always the BWCA and Quetico. I don't know Quetico all that well...maybe a Hunter's Island trip or a big loop up on the north side of the park.

Anyone else dreaming of trips???

I've been thinking about taking a 7-10 day trip to the BW next fall to bear hunt. I've deer hunt for some years now and would like to give bear hunting a try - seems like it would be fun to combine with a bw trip. I've thought about deer hunting up there in the past...but I've always been successful where I hunt now.

Stick in the mud - bring a rod along on the superior hiking trail, it crosses alot of fantastic brookie spots along the rivers. I've fished quite a few of them. In addition, there are some nice lake trout that can be caught from shore along bear lake.

Shoepack or Crescent muskies. Shoepack you have to get a key from the DNR, portage in three miles, unlock the canoes, and then you have the source of the legendary Shoepack strain of muskies all to yourself.

That would be a sweet trip.

I'm not a hunter, but I've always wondered about hunting up there. Would getting bait back in there be a big hassle? Or could you just toss out some bait at one of the sites frequented by the nuisance bear and see if it'll poke around?

I've wondered about the fishing on the SHT. The only place I've done any is at Lake Agnes (near the Caribou Trail). Didn't catch anything, and on my long hikes I'm always so stingy with weight that I haven't made room for any gear or tackle.

Anyone ever done any kevlar canoe repair?

I borrowed my Souris RIver Q17 to my brother who's borrowed it before, but he used it on a different vehicle. I never thought twice about it. This time he used ratchet straps over the top that didn't line up with the foam pads and he crushed the bottom of the boat where is curves from side to the bottom.

Grrrr. He's sorry and wants to help repair the boat so I'm trying to find more info. I just refinished it last year too.

Ouch.

Gotta be resources online to help out with that.

I've always been wary of that(long time ratchet user), doesn't take much to do some damage with them ratchet straps. That's not the first time I've heard of crushing a canoe that way.

I wish you luck, let us know how it turns out.

(goes and hugs my SR) smile

I'm not handy or brave enough to tackle that kind of project by myself, so I'd send it to Northwest Canoe in St Paul. I've never personally had to send a boat there, but I know a few who have, and they've always been very pleased with how things turn out.

Good luck!

Well, first off I'm going south of the border next month, looking forward to trying some kayak fishing in the turquoise waters.

Going to get my annual BW winter camping trip in during March. No destination yet.

Hoping that Mother Nature has decided that this winter has been long enough already and will provide us with an early spring. Would love to get in a late April BW paddle trip, I know where some crappies hang out.

How about you? Any plans or dreams?

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do....Depends on how much time my friends can find away from wives/children/work. Hopefully I'll get at least one of the following done, preferably two.

Group trips:

1) Get back up to Woodland Caribou or Wabakimi. Love 'em both, but always have a hard time choosing between them.

2) Hunter's Island loop in the Q. Never done it.

3) Explore some out-of-the-way spots in Quetico. I don't know the park all that well, so there's a lot of new water to explore.

Solo trips:

1) Long solo, maybe from Atikokan to Ely. I haven't done a solo trip that ambitious yet. I'd wait for mid-summer water temps, though...I get a bit wimpy paddling the big lakes when the water is still cold.

2) Re-hike the Superior Hiking Trail, just in the different direction.

The only plan that's set in stone at the moment is a trip I'm taking with my dad up to Beaverhouse...He's got some pretty significant health issues, so we're going to basecamp there or head over to Quetico and basecamp somewhere on it. Easy trip with lots of fish. smile

full-552-43030-img_2205.jpg

Got out and got some paddling in this past week, looks like it's gonna be a while before it's 85 and sunny here back at home.

Didn't do any fishing btw.

But it was nice to just float around and dream of days to come.

Looks pretty nice!

I'm currently holed up in a little B&B on the west side of Ireland, where it's neither as sunny nor as rain-free (super nasty out there at the moment, which is why I'm wasting time online while on vacation). Apparently it's been one of the worst winters in a long, long time. The rivers are CRAZY high...If only I had my Penobscot. grin

Sure is nice to see some open water, though, even if it is flooding everything and closing bridges.