• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Track tension

usmc0411

I just installed a "new" track and skid on my 1994 Indy. Question is how do I know when I have the correct amount of tension on the track?

Last season it felt like the track would slip from time to time when I really got on the throttle.

I just installed a "new" track and skid on my 1994 Indy. Question is how do I know when I have the correct amount of tension on the track?

Last season it felt like the track would slip from time to time when I really got on the throttle.

It may have been your belt slipping and not your track! Check for chunks out of your belt. Same thing happened to me once. Thought it was the track but found a nice chunk out of the belt! wink

mthunter is correct, measure weight at center rail. and if it is a new track check tension occasionaly as it may stretch a little, that will depend on how hard you ride it, if it has studs put in. You do not want to ride with a loose track, if you ride hard and corner hard the track could roll off slide and studs would enhance that possibility

Back it off until it ratchets then tighten it up a bit until the ratcheting stops.

You want to run the track as loose as possible without causing damage. Too much tension robs power and prematurely wears the sliders.

I know my tracks have more sag then what is recommended.

When work is done at a shop they need a baseline. When you do the work yourself you can

dial in the adjustment. The above reasons are why. Along with that, your sled should roll to a stop. If you feel the track tension breaking your stops then the track is too tight.