• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a bow as a gift for a teenager

tacklejunkie

Any tips? Does he have to be with to size it for him or are the draw lengths adjustable. He's my youngest son(16y/0) and he really wants to archery hunt next year but I have no idea were to start and my wife and I were going to buy him a compound bow for Xmas

Most bows will fit/shoot differently for each person, and they'll have to be set-up specifically for your son to get him on the right track. So, eventually he'll definately need to be a part of the process.

If you wanted to surprise him though, maybe you could work out something with a local archery shop where you explain to them how much you are going to spend. They could set you up with a bow to give to your son for Xmas, knowing that he would probably be in after Xmas to try different bow set-ups and choose the right one for him.

Any archery shops that would have an issue with something like that, wouldn't be worth dealing with in the long run, in my opinion.

Would he eventually outgrow a bow that I buy him this year?

A reputable archery shop will hook you up with something that can be adjusted to his growth over the next few years.

All good advice with one common theme...go to a good archery shop. I would add that if you describe some of your son's physical characteristics to the archery shop salesperson, they should be able to recommend some good bows that will fit him for many years of growing.

I'm sure you can buy it and wrap it for X-mas, with the condition that you will have to take him to the archery shop to get the bow adjusted and the arrows cut. They should also be able to help him sight the bow in and give him some tips on good shooting form.

Nels

Most bows will fit/shoot differently for each person, and they'll have to be set-up specifically for your son to get him on the right track. So, eventually he'll definately need to be a part of the process.

If you wanted to surprise him though, maybe you could work out something with a local archery shop where you explain to them how much you are going to spend. They could set you up with a bow to give to your son for Xmas, knowing that he would probably be in after Xmas to try different bow set-ups and choose the right one for him.

Any archery shops that would have an issue with something like that, wouldn't be worth dealing with in the long run, in my opinion.

That is what my dad did for my first bow. He picked one out that I thought I would like bought it put it in the case (bare bones) no sights, rest or anything.. just so I would have something to open then he told me we could go to the shop together and either have that one set up or if I liked a different one that I could get the one I wanted. I ended up getting a different one because that bow wouldn't have the draw lbs I wanted.

Check out the Diamond Infinite Edge. Draw weights 5 - 70 lbs and draw lengths from 13 - 30. The bow will grow with him and could possibly be the first and last bow he will ever need. 80% let off, and comes set up ready to use. After he gets better you can upgrade if you want.

I bought the Diamond Razr couple years ago, same type of adjustable bow. LOVE IT! Check out the reviews on YOU TUBE.

Great, ready to shoot bow

Inexpensive

Will grow with him

Very popular

Have fun!

He doesn't have to be with you to buy it, but he should go with you to have it set for him. A good archery shop will measure him right up and it should be free if that's the shop you bought the bow at.

Some bows have adjustable draw lengths and some have specific draw length - get an adjustable draw length bow. Not knowing his size and strength I would suggest something that maxes out a 60lbs or less. People shoot better with lower poundage.

Get something forgiving, easy to draw and fun to shoot vs the fastest bow out there.