• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp Ripley Live 1st hunt

Just got back and not sure how many deer have been taken so far but one of the guys at the weigh station said one went 230. I saw 3 deer today without horns and didn't get any shots. However I was late getting my stand up as some others were there before me and it took a while to figure out where they were and I didn't want to mess up their hunt. Turned out they were in another part of the woods so I got my tree. Tomorrow I will be on the stand a lot earlier and hopefully get some shooting

I hunted till about 2 PM today and never seen a hair. When I came out they had about 10 deer registered at that time and 130 yesterday. They said there were some 9 and 10 pointers weighed over the weekend but no huge racks. Lot of small deer taken. Lots of people had already left and there were a lot of people just driving around.

I missed a doe, the only deer that I saw on stand all weekend. Did some walking around and didn't see but a few ground scrapes and only a couple small trees rubbed. Saw a number of wolf tracks on the roads.

I didn't spend much time at the weigh-in station, but the bucks that I did see seemed to have smaller antlers than past years. Anybody else notice the same? I am thinking it is due to the long Winter.

It sounds like a lot of mixed feelings. Our group of 4 (3 of us Saturday and 4 of us Sunday) saw 9 deer total. We hunted all day both days, except for about an hour yesterday when two of us moved. Saturday I saw 5 from my stand, one nice buck that was chasing a doe. My buddy saw another nice buck in a different spot that he couldn't get a shot at in the brush.

Saturday was an awesome day. I saw ZERO hunters the entire day. My two buddies also saw no other hunters, but they hunted in the thickest of cover in the middle of a swamp. I ended up shooting a 115lb doe at 5:45. She ran about 50 yards and I heard her crash. We had her gutted drug out and were on our way to the gate at 6:45. A great time was had by all.

BEWARE OF THIEVES: Wife and I were hunting, got her set-up and headed out to set-up. Walking to my area my bow caught some brush and popped the string off the cam. Went back to the truck and headed to Archery Country. I left my footlocker on the approach(not a an access road) about 20 yards from the road, so others would know that someone was up the hill. Left at 10a.m and back by 11:30.(Fast and good service from Archery Country) Lo and behold someone decided they needed my footlocker. Unbelievable! Didn't have much in it, extra socks and long underwear, but still?

Anyways, set-up and saw one spike and a doe. Wife seen 4 does. As mentioned in previous post, buck sign where we were was minimal. mad

We stayed in the barracks during the youth hunt and it is block walls and cot beds. No TV and I don't think there was internet I just had my I phone. Kind of like a prison cell only bigger but for $10 a night it was OK. I don't think they rent the barracks on the regular hunts just rooms and have never been in one.

I have stayed in the billets 3 yes in a row. They are nice. Shared bathroom. You can lock the other bathroom door for privacy if you want. The rooms have a twin bed, 20 in flat screen, sink, DVD and medium sized refrigerator. $25 a night. Maid service each day. PX is open for snacks. batteries, ice etc

I shot a doe Sunday. I saw very little scrape/rub activity but that is expected as the rutting moon is not till Nov 17.

I usually drive back and forth for the hunt and called late for the rooms and they were full. Im sure they fill fast. Ended up bringing a wheel house to stay in. That tenting looks way to rough to me. How much is the officers house per person and how many people do they sleep?