• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2013 DIY Public Land Montana Elk/Deer Bowhunt

Scoot

Thanks for the thought and suggestion Walleyehooker. A cart-type of option might work for some, but it really wouldn't work very well for us. It'd limit where we could get our gear pretty significantly and one of the great things about our current set up is that we are very, very mobile. Not many elk or little sign in the area we set up our tents- we just move a mile or two. Importantly, if the mile or two we want to move isn't on a very established trail, which is pretty likely, we'd be completely SOL if we were trying to transport our gear on a cart. Also, even the established trails a very rough in many places, making a cart doable, but a huge pain in the rear. We watched a couple guys trying to pack a small bull out on a cart a few years ago. They had just gutted it out and were trying to get it out in one trip. Eeeesshh! It looked horrible! The cart wasn't even close to adequate for the job and the rough trail was more than they and their set up had bargained for. Point is, a cart can't go many of the places we can go. Our gear will weigh a lot less than a whole elk, but the same idea still applies.

We've got specialized packs and gear all set up for this kind of hunting and as long as you're in shape for it, it's a great way to go. Nearly all of the bivy hunters I know about carry their gear on their back. I've looked into areas where a mountain bike and pull behind cart (like a baby carrier on a bike) are usable, but none of the areas in MT we've hunted so far would work for that.

...anyway, that's for the thought and suggestion. I don't think it'd work in the area we hunted this year, but might be a good option in some areas.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife would call this a once in a lifetime hunt for me. I think if I put in for some preference points and build up gear to do this type of hunt, the hard part would be learning to do this solo from the beginning and the pack out if successful.

If I brought back a bunch of elk meat, she might be more willing to let me go more often. It was this kind of hunt or Alaska dyi and that would be once in a lifetime hunt. My thought is do it now before I get too old to do it.

I appreciate your help and opinions. I do read other forums that are more western hunt orientated and that sparks a fire in me. Love it. Thanks again, can't wait to go.