• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St. Croix Sturgeon 2013

aanderud

Actually I have a buddy who targets Eels on the St Croix, he's caught well over a dozen. Interestingly the best Eel spots have proven to be mediocre Sturgeon spots. But the bait is basically the same - crawler balls are best, dead shad works too. Definitely overlaps with Sturgeon fishing though. Also fall is the best season, we've tried proven Eel spots in spring/summer and only get Cats and Drum. They usually start picking up in Sept and October is good.

I've targetted Eels on the St Croix a few times and caught 2 of them, both in October.

Just to make clear - Eels and Lampreys aren't really related at all, other than both being fish... (eels are actually closer to Tarpon than they are to Lampreys!)

Here is some MN DNR info about lampreys:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/education/minnaqua/lampreyrochure.pdf

Basically they are native and the MN DNR isn't worried about any Lampreys other than the Sea Lamprey in Superior. The two native parasitic ones do not cause the severe problems the invasive Sea Lamprey does. All that said I need to try one as cutbait one of these days, never get around to it.

Yes, those are native lampreys, and they are actually pretty common in the st. croix system. We used to fish the snake and kettle rivers a lot, and pike and redhorse in particular seemed to be favorites for the lamprey.

As far as american eel, I've read that little ones are popular bait for striped bass down south.

Thanks for the information. Based on the videos it was definitely a lamprey. Not sure I would want to pick one up as they look like a leech on steroids. I wonder if many of the pleasure boaters and swimmers know about all the interesting creatures that lurk below. Sturgeon fishing has been fun, had one go airborne on me like a tarpon two times in a row and when I got it to the boat it wrapped around my anchor line and freed itself.

got out lastnite aswell, quite a few FMer's were out there also. sum bigguns were caught a 54' and a 55x20.75" but not by my boat tho lol.

did a lil bit better this time around. we got 14 sturggies biggest was 44, 1 small flatty and 1 sumo carp 30x19.5

good company, good fishing = fun nite on the river

42_101013.jpg

30x195carp.jpg

Atta way. Hope you didn't have to cut any lines to catch that 44 laugh

lol no not this time. havin only me n lump there were less lines and we both know wat to do, vs last wkend i was with sum nubes. lol

hekc i fotgot how much room i have in my boat with only 2peeps in it and its faster also lol