• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planted My Rye Plot

That is a fine looking plot. It'd be neat to see a follow up in a couple weeks to see how it's going.

Very impressed with the seedbed. What did you all use to prep the site?

Have you thought about planting some fruit trees/shrubs around that plot? There are a number of different shorter growing soft mast species you could put around there to really up the number of production months in the area.

All in, nice work.

Here is the plot at 2 weeks.

The prep included brush hogging it down, raking it off, after letting the grasses grown a couple of weeks I sprayed it with Kilzall, after another week I went over it with the brush hog again, tilled it, dragged it, and planted it.

This is an area that is pretty wet until July typically.

I planted the rye a week earlier than usual this year.

It has popped up well but I think you could almost grow this stuff on concrete.full-13193-36608-20130908_154410_resized

full-13193-36609-20130908_154512_resized

full-13193-36610-20130908_154639_resized

Right now there has been some grazing.

I have a 800 acre corn field on the north side of my property line which I think is keeping the deer occupied right now. That and the acorns Stick mentioned.

Later in October and beyond this will be the only green stuff around.