• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of rod?

Snowking

My daughter want to buy her boyfriend a cat fishing rod for his birthday. She's going to have it made so what would you want? It's going to be from shore so I was thinking a 7 footer medium heavy spinning. Should it be longer? Should it be heavier ? I'm not much of a cat guy and don't own a rod heavier than a midium light so I'm not much help to her. Thanks chad

I would go a bit longer at 7'6 or even 8ft. It will help long casts from shore.

Channels or Flatheads? MH works good for both, but if its mainly for Channel cats you can get away with a Medium action. I don't own any heavy action rods.

Have you decided on a builder yet? This Guy can build you a very nice one and is familiar with catfishing and will not steer you wrong.

+1

I would go a bit longer at 7'6 or even 8ft. It will help long casts from shore.

Channels or Flatheads? MH works good for both, but if its mainly for Channel cats you can get away with a Medium action. I don't own any heavy action rods.

Have you decided on a builder yet? This Guy can build you a very nice one and is familiar with catfishing and will not steer you wrong.

Thanks for the info I'll have to see what Gary wicks has in stock as he's the one building it. We are under a little bit of a time crunch. I went with a midium heavy thinking that he'd be able to throw some Muskie baits with it as well. I do like the idea of a 8 footer. Thanks again

Snowking if you are having Gary build it look at his 8' 2" Eglass blank. It will work as a flat head or a rod for muskies. Gary designed this blank as a musky trolling rod blank but he has said that some cat guys are using it for flatheads.

I concur with the 8 foot sentiment, especially from shore -- but one thing you MIGHT want to consider is a two piece, depending on what type of vehicle it will be driven around in. Some folks say that is a crazy idea, but honestly it's easier to carry transport, both in the car and in the woods on the way to some shore spots.

The kid pulled the trigger this morning on the 8'2" e glass blank. Gary was awesome to work with he took the time to explain every thing to her as I sat back and listened.it will be done by the 27 th so she is very happy

after it is done and they had a chance to use it could you post a report on it. I want to build a rod or two on that same blank but I am thinking it is more of a flathead blank and would be to heavy of action for channel cats but I might be wrong. I guess I just need to build a rod with this blank and try it on channel cats and if it is to heavy of action then it would become my flathead rod instead.

I will do that brad. He recommended the two rods you posted about and she went with the e glass. I did bring your name up and he brought up how we googled his name up in Canada last year and your story in the paper popped up. He said something about fishing the river with you. Hope it works out. He truly is a great guy.

I will do that brad. He recommended the two rods you posted about and she went with the e glass. I did bring your name up and he brought up how we googled his name up in Canada last year and your story in the paper popped up. He said something about fishing the river with you. Hope it works out. He truly is a great guy.

I never wrote any thing for a paper or fished a river with Gary. you are talking about Gary Wicks right. I only buy my rod building stuff from him and he is the one I took the rod building class from.

I ran my name through yahoo's search engine. the only thing that came up was 2 pictures from my catfishing trips from 2012 and this year. those were with Brad Durick of Grand Forks up one the Red River . the only other thing that came up that has anything to do with me and Gary was the was a post I made here on HSO a few years ago about Gary's rod building classes. if you can find it please get me a link to this so called story in the paper. I would like to know more because like I said I never wrote anything for a paper. you got me curious now.