• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying an ATV--What Brand?

HOGEYE

I am looking to buy an ATV. It will either be new or new used. I have never owned one before but will use it for hunting and fishing ect. My father owns a 99 Sportsman500. I love how it rides but he has had it into the shop numerous times. I've noticed that the Arctic Cats have good clearance. If anyone could give me some reviews I would like to hear all sides (Polaris, Cats, Yam, Honda ect.) Thanks for your input.

HOGEYE, if you back to the ATV Users forum and go to the "show topics list" box on the upper right, open that and ask to "show the last year's topics list". There are some good discussions on new and old machines on there. Some are around May of 2002. Good Luck.

I've had a lot of experience in Kawasaki (1990 decade models), Arctic Cat and Honda. I can honestly say I love them all. My family and relatives owns, or has owned many machines since the 3 wheeler first came out way back when.
Our '96 Cat 454 is like a tank and never skips a beat. Same with the '90 and '95 Kawasakis.
I wanted the new Cat 500I, but I found a used Honda Foreman that I couldn't pass on with all the goodies I needed. Ride the 500I on rough terrain and you might be happy with the fully independent suspension w/ 12" of clearance.
Good luck and have fun trying out all the machines!

I bought a 2003 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Automatic. It is quite a machine. It is like a tank but a very smooth ride. I have a 2001 Dodge Quad cab and I leave the tailgate down because it is 81" long. The suspension gives you some remarkable clearance. I bought the lime green one but bought the velcro camo kit that protects the plastic from scratches and makes a huge difference in the resale value later on. I live in Thief River Falls and do not work for Arctic Cat. I know from some of my friends that they have sold out all their machines for the year to the dealers. I looked at Honda which I think is a great machine but for price I could not beat the Cat. I use mine for hunting and ice fishing. The 400 is all the power you need in my opinion. It can go anywhere you need to go!

Thanks for the replys. Clearance is a major deciding factor for me, and so far Arctic Cat is looking good. Right now I think it is a toss up between a Cat and a Polaris. Any one selling one used? Just found out I have a baby on the way. It will be my first! Thanks a bunch everyone.

I have a '99 Honda 450ES that is used almost exclusively for Ice Fishing. I put 27" Vampires on it, and it goes thru 18" of snow, or on glare ice, with no problems(no chains needed).
Built a wood rack on the front to hold the auger, and some holders for a shovel.
Also has a 13" deep cell battery on the back rack, that comes in handy to run the electric auger, jump starting dead batteries, and will run 3 Vex's for 2 days, and still show a full charge.
I never had any problems with the Honda, but I highly recommend taking apart all the electrical plugs, and connections on any 4-wheeler, and give them a good coating of Dielectric Silicone Grease (can get a small tube at any NAPA or other auto store). It will save you allot of corrosion problems caused by road salt, and dirt picked up when traveling over the road.
I might be looking at getting a "Bucket Rack" for it this year, they look like a pretty good idea.
I would think that almost any 4-wheeler (4 wheel drive)with at least 300CC would work good. Any Mfg. has good ones....and a few lemons. You might have to take care of the new baby for a while first, congradulations!!

Good Luck,
Bill

LoadingHonda3.jpg

I personally like Honda.

They have great engines, last a long time, and plenty of clearance beneath. User-ability is very friendly also.

Second vote would be Yamaha, although they have less ground clearance, and requires a little more shifting.

I like Polaris snowmobiles, but do not recommend them for ATV's for heavy pulling. However, their suspention is is one of the best rides out there.

Hope you have fun,

Kevin

I never pulled an Ice House with them, but when I was at Wamplers Lake, Mich. (I'm from Western NY) last year, I pulled 4 portables all roped together in a train, 2 of which had guys sitting in them, and there was 2 of us on the Honda. The ice was super clear, smooth, and wet and I had no troubles.
I ran chains on the back for 2 years, but then found that I never needed them, so I leave them at home now.

Better Pic;

Hondainside2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-28-2002).]

I've got a wheeler like yours H2O. I bought my wheeler from a guy that bought a rack from Cabelas which if absolutely amazing for hauling gear. It holds (3) 5 gallon buckets plus other little stuff. The rack bolts onto the existing rear rack. It is also huge and bulky though. If you can't haul it with this set-up...you don't need it!

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-28-2002).]

Arctic Cat makes a machine that has attachments for the rack that holds anything you need. The racks can be extended and have things to hold your auger, 5 gallon bucket or anything you need. They make them in either the 400 or 500 models. Check it out at Arctic Cat Web Site.

Arctic Cat's system is called the Multi Rack Platform (MRP) and you have to purchase a 400 or 500 machine designated "MRP". There was talk you may be able to purchase new racks with the MRP option, for an older machine, but I can't confirm that.
I never saw any MRP set up for an "auger" specifically.

For what it's worth, I have a Bombadier Traxter and I think it's a great utility machine. It doesn't have as smooth of a ride as a Polaris but I've had no maintence or problems either. A friend has a Cat about 2 years old and it has been a big disappointment for him. He did buy a new auto Cat just recently so I think he just got a lemon machine. The problems he had were getting all 4 tires going when the going got tough. Maybe it was that individual machine.

I wouldn't be afraid to own a Prairie 400. My sister actually has one. Smooth ride, decent power, comfy.

If ya get it, I've got a plow for that machine that was used once for a decent price smile.gif

I've got a Yamaha Grizzly (600) and I really like it but now that I've seen the new 660 I'm drooling but will have to wait for more money to come my way. I think that the 660 has more ground clearance, It has totally independant suspension and you can lock in all four tires for true 4x4. My 600 rides a little rougher than the others. Bruce Mosher

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

Heres my pitch for the honda. I own a 2002 honda rancher es. this is a 350 four wheel drive with electric shift. An absolute dream to ride and manuever. I have the snow plow attachment and it works like a champ! have never had to use the chains as of yet. the enclosed running boards make it comfy on the feet and the electric shift is the only way to go. The engine honda put in this unit is bullet proof and ive never had a clearance problem. For the money.....honda is the answer they just simply run forever. thats my .02 worth.

Recently I have just purchased a 2002 Honda Rubicon 500. I love it! This machine has three different drive choices for each Hi and Low range. It has a performance drive, a drive to get out more torque, and the electronic push button shifter. It is full time four wheel drive and has good ground clearance. I talked to many dealers that handled both Polaris and Yamaha or Honda and they all recommended to go with the Yamaha or Honda. I chose the Honda Rubicon 500 over the Yamaha Kodiak 450 because the Honda just felt like a bigger machine and more powerful machine. There is also no belts to worry about every breaking. I would buy another honda in a heartbeat.

I have a 2002 Yamaha Grizzly 660. It is an amazing machine. Runs and rides like a champ. I could not be happier. Honda is also a good machine, but the only one I would consider from them is the Rincon. Only bad part is price. Polaris has a very good ride, but plan on taking it to the dealership a few times in the first year, they seam to have quite a few minor problems. Arctic cat needs to up the power on the 500, only dynos at like 18 horse. I rode a 2003 500 the machine rocked back and forth like a hobby horse. All companies have their bad and good points, these are just a few of the observations I have made. Kawasaki, never ridden one, but the 650 Praire is suppose to be one awesome machine. Only downfall is no independent rear suspension. You will notice the difference.
Brian