• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pros/Cons G3 boats

hanronson

You'll love it. I also shopped around and found a great value and IMO the best of OB motors and have been happy with this one. We have used yamaha OB's at my work for over 10 years with great track records. As the boats get higher in price I think that some bigger names in the industry sometimes get better resale down the road. If you take as good of care with this one as with your old boat having it for 30 years I'm sure it will last you a long long time as well.

I have heard excellent reports on the G3 boats; well built and well finished off. As far as the OB, pretty hard to complain much about Yamaha's. They are found in fishing camps all over the world and there's a reason for that. I have been running a 2004 since it was new and I can only recall replacing one little piece and don't remember what it was!? Otherwise its the same old thing: hit the key and its running almost before you can let go of the key. Warm it up and throttle up. Same old thing.......every time.

Can't tell you anything about the Yamaha, I am Mercury guy. I was talking to my marine guy (he sells Alumacraft, which I own) last fall and mentioned seeing a brochure on G3's and he said they were almost an exact copy of the Alumacraft line of boats. I have not seen a G3 at a boat landing where I could get a good look at it but what I saw in the brochure looked pretty good.

I have a buddy that bought a new Bass Tracker 2-3 years ago and I was pretty impressed with his boat. It has a full windshield and is 18 feet in length. Nice boat but it says Bass Tracker(Targa??)on the side and i was skeptical. I did a little investigation and learned that Bass Tracker has had a big push on to build and market a much better boat. I don't know prices but if I were in the market I might look into them. I've owned 3 Alumacrafts (2 Trophy's) and probably won't change because of the relationship I have with my Alumacraft dealer.

I've always kinda wanted a Lund but I refuse to pay what they want just for the name.

Mike

Can't tell you anything about the Yamaha, I am Mercury guy. I was talking to my marine guy (he sells Alumacraft, which I own) last fall and mentioned seeing a brochure on G3's and he said they were almost an exact copy of the Alumacraft line of boats. I have not seen a G3 at a boat landing where I could get a good look at it but what I saw in the brochure looked pretty good.

I have a buddy that bought a new Bass Tracker 2-3 years ago and I was pretty impressed with his boat. It has a full windshield and is 18 feet in length. Nice boat but it says Bass Tracker(Targa??)on the side and i was skeptical. I did a little investigation and learned that Bass Tracker has had a big push on to build and market a much better boat. I don't know prices but if I were in the market I might look into them. I've owned 3 Alumacrafts (2 Trophy's) and probably won't change because of the relationship I have with my Alumacraft dealer.

I've always kinda wanted a Lund but I refuse to pay what they want just for the name.

Mike

Well a lot of mercs were half Yamaha. So were a bunch of Mariners, if you remember those.