• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clover question.

Kind of new to the planting scene. Just to try it, I went up last weekend and prepared four small spots (maybe 5' x 8') and seeded with clover on a wide trail in the woods on our property. Watered them with a watering can with available water from the swamp. It's kind of remote and anything you want to take back there needs to be carried. Was hoping for some rain but that's not happening. I was wondering if I'm just out of luck or will it sit there and then when it rains take off? Thanks.

Every day without rain, germination will be affected.

Sure glad I didnt do any fall plots this year. I got 100% burned last year with them, and we are heading in the same direction again.

My established clover is pretty much burned and crispy now. frown

HockeyBC69, thanks for the response. Yeah, it started out so good and then the faucet got turned off again. More of an experiment. Small bags of seed and fertilizer and some sweat, so I guess I'm not out too much.

Mark,

I know hat you are saying... Its UGLY up there!!! but with that said, we are reclaiming an old stand... has about 150 yards of trail in front of it. Beat back the forest and did a chem. burn down on the trail, worked it up and went ahead and planted it. I'll be darned if it's not trying to go... Granted it is in shade 3/4 of the day, but it's up about 1/2". the 4 plots we planted in full sun are doing nothing. The soil is like talcum powder. We need some rain! Cant do this two years in a row!

Good Luck!

Ken

My 2 year old clover was looking tough. I'm in northern Itasca county. Talked to a DNR forestry crew on my way up at the gas station. Said they hadn't had rain in 3 weeks. Yuck. We had enough to settle the dust in Bigfork on Saturday night, might have had some up there last night, I dunno.

Definitely another tough year for food plots. I planted my brassicas a little earlier this year based on the lack of rain late last summer. In the Backus area we had some good rain in the early part of July, so I planted my summer plots the weekend after the fourth and cut my clover then as well.

This plot is doing well, however the alfalfa/clover mix plots I planted at the same time are not doing quite as well yet.

That is an eight inch coffee mug in the plot.

full-10316-36253-foodplot.jpg