• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

may need a key for an old boat...

Chad Holst

I dont have alot of info so far...

My uncle is giving me an old boat that has a 90hp Merc on it. He doesnt know anything about the boat other than the people selling it at his camp ground didnt take very good care of it and needed to sell it to make there camping lot rent.

He figured if needed to he could sell the trailer for a couple hundred and get his money back and just scrap the boat, but he said if i want it i can have it.

I did look at it quick when i was at his place.

It has a 90HP merc that i would guess is 1980's ish.

Counsel steering with a walk through bow. Aluminum hull.

Seats are shot, carpet is trashed, wood trim holding carpet to walls and floor is rotted.

My plan for the inside is simple, im gonna gut it and re-deck it and carpet it.

I planned on picking it up tonight, but thought about the key, i called my uncle and he said "wasnt the key in it?" I didnt look and he doesnt know.

If the key is not in it, what do i need to do to get a new key made?

I'll have a bill of sale to get it re-registered, when i have it fixed up. (its going to be a fall/winter project, so no rush there)

Is there anything i should think about first, before getting to far into this thing?

He said the motor ran when the people he got it from had it, but they probably didnt take too good of care of it.

Buy some ears and hook up the garden hose and try and start it? Should i change the plugs first? It has sat outside in MN winter for 2 years, no cover, etc..

Any advice would be great. Would like an answer to the key question, as i have a funny feeling we will get to his storage area and find no key in it.

You should be able to get a key from any merc dealer if you tell them the serial number, that is easy.

I would drain all fuel first, start fresh, new plugs and maybe new fuel filter, before trying to start it. Heck I would even put a new impeller in first, cheap and pretty easy to do. Then you should be good to go.

Good luck!

PS, just noticed that you said it was outside uncovered winter and summer. I would check the bilge pump to make sure it works, and definitely check the aerator pump, as if it was frozen, or the tubing coming from it, when there was water in the bottom, it could be cracked, and that is a direct inlet for water from the lake to your bilge. Been there, water can come in fast wink

It will be a project, but you will end up with a solid boat and know how to rig them and repair them, and be a better boater for it! Lots of folks here to help you on the way, too!

The serial number won't help.

Merc controls used a letter system on the keys. A B C D etc. you can either take it to a dealer and have them check to see which one by trying one until it works. Or they may let u leave a deposit on several keys so u can take them home to try them.

Before rebuilding this or replacing that. Do a compression test and check for spark. If both test are satisfactory, then you can start checking other stuff.

I'd also pull the lower unit plugs and check the condition of the lube. Hopefully lube is in there. Go from there

OK, sounds good guys!

I didnt pick it up yet, as i was still trying to figure out if this is going to be a fun project to be proud of when im done or a headache and money pit.

But, since it appears that there are several people here that are willing to help i will take this on. I appreciate the help. It will progress slowly, as money is tight, but i will keep people informed. I figure i will do a build/rebuild thread when i get her home and take some pics of the project.

I love learning new things and it keeps me busy when im about to snap. The alternitive was a hit of acid and a box of shotgun shells, so here we go....

And don't forget that you don't need to set it up just as it was. We took rodlocker and livewell out of ours, added a bigger front deck (not the are where you walk, but where you bolt troll motor too) and it turned out great for duck hunting, and still works fine for fishing. You can get creative wink

i was still trying to figure out if this is going to be a fun project to be proud of when im done or a headache and money pit.

It may be all the above. Nice thing is YOU will KNOW how it was done.

You know a boat is a hole in the water, where you throw money!!

B.O.A.T Bring Out Another Thousand

So, we picked up the mystery boat on Sunday.

It actually looks alot better than i remember it from the 1st quick look i had. Plus it wasnt up to the rail in weeds anymore.

Anyway, here is what i have...

It is a SS175 Sea Nymph with a 90hp oil injected mercury motor.

THE GOOD NEWS...The key was there smile

It was trimmed down, so we hooked a battery up to it and the electric trim worked.

Anyway, we got her home, now the work begins.

I am going to end this thread and start a new "build" thread. Please stop over and lend a hand, im sure i am going to need 1 or 2...or 13.

I already have a few needs, like how to find out the year of the boat.

THANK YOU ALL.

Del, Lucky...SOUNDS GREAT. I started a thread for this build/rebuild. post the offer on there (hopefully it drums up some more offers) and so i can keep track of who is willing to lend a hand. SHoot me a PM and i will send you my contact info.

If either of you know about these things, we are gonna try and start her tonight or thursday, see if she runs...compression test, etc... I still dont even know what the motor is..3 cyl? 4 cyl? etc... I will be posting questions and comments on the other thread, please reply there.