• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NAP Killzone?

Anybody out there have any experience with these broadheads? I have been considering going with the Killzone Maxx but I my main concern is getting complete pass thru shots on whitetail-sized game at moderate distances. I am currently shooting a Mathews Heli-m at 70# draw weight.

Any input appreciated... Thanks

Do you plan on hunting in Minnesota with it? If so it is considered illegal due to the cutting diameter being more than 2". NAP lists it at 2 3/8. If you're in Wisconsin then have at it. I'm a rage fan myself but haven't heard to much on the NAP's. If you're looking for a 2" cut mechanical that new Rage Hypodermic looks to be the one I'm shooting this year. It's Steel, no orings, and that tip just looks nasty. There's tons of opinions out there on large mechanicals and rage, I myself can't say a bad thing about them for whitetails.

I shot the kill zone deep six last year. Never put them into a whitetail but rediculous penetration into targets. They shoot like a field tip, I like them and can't wait to put them into an animal this fall. These were not the killzone maxx just the killzone. I shoot also a Helim at 70lbs.

I've been shooting and killing deer with the spitfire maxx heads, by far one of the most consistent broad heads I've owned and shot, they shoot just like field tips. Did wonders on my PB buck last year and decimated the right shoulder blades and the head was still in one piece. Since the Killzone is basically the same minus one blade I would suggest its a great broad head. If you are planning to hunt MN I think gardn184 is correct, 2" maximum after it's deployed. NAP heads by far are solid heads so you can't go wrong with most of the tried and true designs that they make...that stem from the spitfire engineering/models.

MR

I'm 100% with Meat Run on this one! I've run about ten deer through with Spitfire Maxx's and man do I love them! I'd shot about several dozen deer with different heads before I started using Maxx's and never seen one drop. Since I started using the Maxx's, I've seen all but one of them tip over! They have a large cutting diameter and mechanically/design wise are rock solid.

From the regulation handbook;

legal BoWs anD aRRoWs FoR Big game

• Bows must have a pull no less than 30 pounds at or before full draw.

• Arrowheads used for taking big game must be sharp, have a minimum

of two metal cutting edges, be of barbless broadhead design, and have a

diameter of at least 7/8 inch.

• “Expandable” broadheads may be used to take big game if they meet

the requirements above and: 1) are at least 7/8 inch in width and no more

than 2 inches in width at or after impact; and 2) are of a barbless design

and function in a barbless manner.

• No person may hunt with a bow drawn, held, or released by a mechanical

device, except disabled hunters who have a crossbow permit.

• A hand-held mechanical release attached to the bowstring may be used

if the person’s own strength draws and holds the bowstring.