• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for canoe trip recommendations please!

Hello everyone, I really hope some of you can give me some advice and suggestions here!

My buddies and I like to take a canoe trip once a year just to get out and camp and enjoy the outdoors, like a weekend 3 day, 2 night trip sort of thing. We've only ever gone on the Namekagon river in Wisconsin though, because it's really newbie friendly, has numerous campsites, is an easy paddling river, and has canoe rental places available.

These trips are fun and all, but one thing really bothers me: We aren't Wisconsin residents, so a weekend fishing license costs more money than I'm willing to pay. My friends don't really care much, but I'd love to try a Minnesota river so that I can cast a line.

I'm completely clueless on which Minnesota rivers might be canoe friendly, so I'm hoping you guys can help me!

What we're looking for:

-Newbie friendly. Some tiny little rapids are ok, but we're all relatively novice paddlers and prefer a relaxing float more than anything. A somewhat shallow river is preferred as well, as we like to take frequent stops, hop out of the canoe, and just swim and walk around a bit.

-Canoe rentals available. We don't own canoes, so this is a must.

-In Minnesota, within a couple (2-3 hours) of the cities.

-Camping availability along the river.

Maybe some of you have gone on similar trips and have had a positive experience to share? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

I'm not sure about the availability of rentals, but the Rum might fit the bill. The Cloquet is good, too (just portage around the rapids). The Big Fork is awesome but can be a bit buggy.

Remember, if there are rapids that you don't feel comfortable running, you can always portage and/or line the canoes.

Flambeau river in Wisconsin. Same situation as you with buddies and this river is fun. We used to do this river every summer because it was so much fun and the fishing is great. Start up on hwy 71 I think it is and go down to beaver dam. GREAT TRIP.

These trips are fun and all, but one thing really bothers me: We aren't Wisconsin residents, so a weekend fishing license costs more money than I'm willing to pay.

FWIW, Wisconsin added a one-day, 4 day, and 15 day licenses this year for reasonable prices.

The Rum would be worth looking into. There is a campground in isanti that rents canoes and provides shuttle service up the river. The 26 mile stretch has state sites along the way and you can end at your truck parked at a reserved campsite for the second night. Very reasonable prices and close to the city.