• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sinker making question for everyone

Pool_Eleven

Wasnt real sure where to put this so i figured since us catfisherman like to use big sinkers this would be the place to ask. I went to cabelas last night and spent an arm and a leg on bank sinkers and it didnt seem like i got very many for what i payed. So i got looking into making my own and saw that Do-It molds have some pretty reasonably priced molds. But my big question is where do u guys get your lead from to make the whole molding process cost effective? Or is it just that cheap? I youtubed some videos on it and it looks pretty simple to do and kinda fun. But i was just curious on where to get the lead at.

Thanks for any help you may have.

Most people get them from scrap tire weights, but those are getting harder to find, lot of zinc ones, and its a messy process to clean.

There are other places to find them though, and a search of "where to find scrap lead" on Google would be a good spot to start.

Batteries, old printing presses, old down rigger balls or decoy weights, etc etc.

Dtro is right about the going price. I have found $.60 to $.80 per pound at different scrap places. My source for wheel weight is a automobile junk yard. they remove a lot of tires in a short time and they can easily get 55 gallon drums full in no time flat, atleast this is how it is at the place I get mine from. you do have to sort through them and pull out the zinc and steel ones so you do get a little lose in over all weight of the lead once it is cleaned. I helped a person clean some not to long ago. we started with 225lbs in total weight and with the zinc and steel ones taken out plus all the steel clips that came off the lead ones we ended up getting right around 160 to 170LBS of clean useable lead for him.

sounds like you have a good source and may be able to get a better deal yet then the going rate. I will send you another PM with a place to get new do it molds at really cheap prices.

Lots of money to be saved by making your own weights. When i used to buy my sinkers, i was always a little hesitant before each cast - not wanting to lose it...now i just chuck out a hunk of dirt cheap lead and could care less if it gets lost. Probably have 25# of lead weights in the boat.

Another good source is fabrication and machine shops. They may have cutting and skeleton pieces laying around they may just give away or will sell for almost nothing. I speak from experience. wink