• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

01 chev p/u 1500 silverodo heater, wipers, gauges, and radio goes on and off.

It is a 01 chev. silverodo p/u and has a 4.6 in it and what it does is most of the time the radio and the wiper dont work, although they does come on once in a great while. The gauges and the heater does come on and off with a mind of its own. I did test the alternator and it is pushing out`14.4 which is good and all the fuses seem to be o.k. Any ides at all. Thinking the computer and if so where is it located at? Thanks 57

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will use a volt meter to see if there is power at the devices that are not working if there is no power than the circuit can be traced back to see where the lack of power is originating from. Once you know what has power and what doesn't I will get you some mo specific info on what to test next.

I checked the wipers at the wires going into the wiper motor and NO POWER. I went to the fuse box and checked the AC,radio,and a couple other fuses WITH the switch turned on and there was nothing at these also.. Thinking the ignition switch??.. Any way to test that Jeremy? or who ever.. Thanks everyone.. Mr. Stumped!!!! Oh and there was power to all the fuses at the main fuse box under the hood..

At the ignition switch look for th brown wire on pin b and the orange wire on pin e. there should be power on both with the key in the run position.

I think there are two orange wires. One will be hot all he time also the two red wires should be hot all the time.

On the top of the switch there is a red/white,orange/black,and yellow (3wires). Are these the ones or do u go back on the left side to the cluster of wires Jeremy?

Jeremy, there is a cluster below the switch and I checked them and they are as follows. Pink had 12v.,red had 12v.,r/w had.5volts, orange had .5 volts, black had .5 volts, and the other few big ones had .o volts. And the small colored wires with the small plugs had this. Little red/white had 12volts, and the small green, brown, yellow, and orange/black had 0 to.. thanks 57.. switch I am pretty sure then right? Also I am pretty illiterate on reading the wireing schematic's to. Dont quite understand the diagram on the one you posted,, Thanks again dude!!

Jeremy. From reading what I found on the wires does it look like it is the switch then? The wiring diagram that you posted is not that clear, at least not on my computer screen..

The big wires that didnt have power, did they have any power as you rotated the key through its various positions? If not than I'm thinking your on the right track with the switch.

Something else you can do is pull the fuse for those circuits that are not working. Then check continuity from the fuse block to the wire at the switch. Once you figure out what wire is supposed to have power than you can see if the switch is supplying power to that wire.

Jeremy. Hi. hey, finally getting the chance to work on it. Since the last time I was on line it has died and dont start at all. Just turns over. I am really pointing at the idea that it is the switch. I can buy the new one for 140.00 0r get a whole coloum at the bone yard for 35 bucks. Not really knowing FOR SURE do you think it is easier to change the whole thing or stick with the switch? Do you have to do any thing special when disassembling it as far as the Air Bag is concerned? Thanks Bud!! 57

You shouldn't have to pull the steering wheel, just the covers that go over the column. The only time I would replace the column is if there was something wrong with your column. There are so many different options that it is almost impossible to get a used column that will Mach your options completely and there is usually transferring of parts involved which kind of defeats the purpose.

Once you have the new switch and you pull the column covers it should be pretty self explanatory on what needs to be done. You will more than likely need some TORX saw drivers and sockets and you may need a 5.5 mm socket (yes a five and a half millimeter).

There are plenty of how to's on the Internet, you should be able to find a video to help you out.

I finally got the chance to work on the 01 chevrolet p/u. Put in a new 10 pin switch and it still does not start, wipers dont work, the radio dont and the heater etc. Is there a anti theft lockout on this or do you have to reprogram anything once you put in a new switch? Thought for a second that it might start almost but battery went dead. Any other ideas? Oh and thanks huys you are all a great help. Awesome forum.

the orange and the brown wire booth have power with the key on. there is 2 orange wires to.,, and the 2 redires are hot also if I did this correctly.lso, I can hear the fuel pump chattering in the tank when I turn the key on. Note to,, that I did not see any burnt wires when taking out the old switch.

here is exactly what I got on the wires. All these are with the key off. Little red wire had no power,big red wire had 12.0, orange and brown and pink all had 0 volts. and with the key in the run position the little red one sparked and it had 0, the big red wire- orange-and the brown had 0.6, and the pink and the little red one on the right side had 12.1 volts. And it does not turn over after the little red wire sparked.

I would read through the past 3 pages and try to figure out what is going on, but I dont have time right now. Let me know if this helps you out, or if you can tell me which pins on the connector have power, key off, and key on, and in the crank position. Also make sure you check all of the fuses. All of them. Especially the ones under the hood. The ignition A maxi fuse in the second wire diagram under hood fuse box, make sure there is power to that.

Scott thanks. got it to turn over. it was a fuse that didnt look bad but no ohm's. I replaced it and it turns over again. Does not start although it has gas which I confirmed. It does run if I pour gas directly into the throttle body. I vaguely remember my son telling me that when this all started, the radio, heater etc. quit running but the vehicle still ran he said that the day it started I think he said the anti theft light came on also but went off. With this in mind can that have alot to do with this? And is there a way to reset it so it will work. I know it isnt the swictch. I replaced the whole harness already. The bad fuse was on the ing. A terminal. 57