• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire Pressure

snagger

I've always wondered technically what is the correct pressure for my trailer tires. I have a 17' Lund with 90hp Merc. Loaded my guess it weighs nearly 2000 lbs. Any recommendations on tire pressure?

I would take a look at the tires. I was wondering that same thing this year for both my boats since I didn't check last year and they said right on the tires. Another option would be to get the model of the tire and do a web search and there would probably be a recommendation on there for that specific tire

I have 14" Marathons on my trailer, which is about the same size as your trailer, and the maximum tire pressure is 50psi. I have run the tires at 50psi but it seemed to make the trailer ride rough. I have been airing them to between 40-45 lbs. to take into consideration heat expansion. The tires are wearing evenly and I haven't had any problems.

Mike

As above, I usually run my marathons about 45 for long trips then drop them to 40 for Short trips around town.

They ride a lot smoother at 40 which is ok for me on short trips. Longer trips I want them pumped up so they don't heat up.

Most tires, including trailer tires, are designed to be inflated to a certain cold temperature with the expectation that they will expand upon driving. Most cars have a max cold inflation pressure of 44psi. However, most vehicle manufacturers recommend inflating to lower levels for a smoother ride.

Most trailer & tire manufacturers recommend inflating your trailer tires to the max - typically 50psi - no matter the purpose. The lower the tire pressure the higher the likelihood for tire failure. If your trailer is bouncing around or riding rough, it's not a tire issue but more in the weight or balancing of the boat and trailer. Modifying the tire pressure is just masking the main problem.

All tires I've seen have the proper cold tire air pressure on the sides.

Actually, this isn't quite accurate. The pressure rating printed on the side of the tire is the proper inflation at full load. You should also find a load rating. If you are not loading your tires to full load, lower pressure is recommended for proper wear. In other words, in most cases, the rated tire pressure on the tire is too high for most applications.

The lower pressure recommendation imprinted on the door panel of your car is not to provide a smoother ride but is the recommended tire pressure for proper inflation based on the load.