• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Lures (River)

Vitreus

So I found a nice backwater: 4-7 ft, emergent vegetation, warmer water temps. I tried everything... worms, gulp minnows, various twister/spinner/minnow jigs, beetle spins, little tubes, mini rapalas. Casting into the vegetation and on the windswept side of the bay, near the warmest water. All I caught were bass and carp snags. Noo crappies. Whyyyyy??!!!!????!!!!!!

It could be they are not in the spot your fishing, just because it looks good isn't enough to hold fish. I have fished backwater from Little Falls to Clearwater this spring, only a few of the roughly 40-50 spots I have tried have held fish.You said there was carp in this bay? more often than not you won't find carp and crappies together in the shallow bays, the carp tend to make the water too turbid for the crappies liking.

Another reason is maybe you hit this spot post cold fornt, crappies often move just outside of these backwater areas when the cold hits and will move back in again when the water warms again.

Or maybe you just aren't using the right bait, but not likley smile if they are there you should be catching something. I like using 1/16 oz head and 1in grubs/Mr Twister or a 1/32oz head and a live crappie minnow under a float to look for fish.

Just be patient, finding river crappies isn't the easiest thing in the world wink this is why they get to grow so big grin

Maybe I don't have the tools I need to find them at this point (no boat - just chest waders). Thanks for the advice guys.

I was just going to say that I catch quite few in the main channel off of spawning grounds this time of the year with a jig and minnow walleye fishing.

Maybe I don't have the tools I need to find them at this point (no boat - just chest waders). Thanks for the advice guys.

Don't be discouraged, most of my river spots I have found them this spring are from shore. I realy haven't been after them in the last week but hear there are still a few left in the back water areas.