• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

electric trolling motor question

I'm looking to buy an electric trolling motor but not sure what size I really need. I have a 14ft extra wide/deep lund. Generally two adults one kid, maybe up to 4 adults on occasion. I do have a 15hp that I currently use for trolling but have always wanted an electric motor for either back up or for a change of pace trolling or quiet approach to "hole", etc..... I'm thinking MinnKota. I see there is anything from 30 to 55 lbs. of thrust. Not sure what is good enough. The Endura C2 or Max? How long can you go on a charge. Looking for advice or personal experiences please. Thanks.

I have a 14' Lund Laker with a 25 HP Yamaha and a 36 lb MinnKota trolling motor. I rarely use the trolling motor for trolling since the Yamaha is so quiet but I like to use the trolling motor when I am working a shoreline or fishing real shallow. Battery life isn't the greatest either a couple hours of trolling kills the battery pretty quickly. If I was to buy another trolling motor I would probably go with a 24 volt bow mount. Might be a little overkill on a 14' boat but at least you could go most of the day on a charge.

I would go with the larger size. never want to be short power with my trolling motor.

As far as how long one can go on a charge, depends on the size andf type of battery. How new and what condition it is in.

I would go with a group 27 deep cycle marine battery. For the money, Interstate makes a good deep cyle for this application. I have used the cheapie's and the $300 ones and the Interstate battery serves one well.

If your going to go transom mount get the largest you can poundage wise.On the bow mounts I have used a old 28lb on the same boat and it worked fine.I now have a 36lb on it.Its so much easier to control with a bow mount pulling the bow into the wind.With the transom mount you'll find the wind pushes the bow out and your always fighting it in the wind.

I'd reccomend a bowmount 36lbs or above

I have a 28 lb I just took off my 16ft boat that is in great shape and moved my 16ft around with no problem. im not much for run & gun fishing so other than getting from point a to point b, this was my primary motor. can easily go 8-10 hours or more on low and maybe 5-6 on high (though I don't really know cause rarely had on high) I just upgraded to co-pilot. PM me if u r interested

I have to agree with Harvey on size.I would go a little bigger & have enough power if/when you want it.You can buy reconditioned ones too & save a few bucks that way.We've bought a couple of them over the years with good results.Available at Cabela's occasionally or The Bobber Shop which has a much better selection.

Go 55# and you will be great. I had a 14' Northwoods and I wound up having to get a 55 to get me up the current of the St. Louis river and it lasted longer than my 36# would. Also do as Harvey Lee said and get a good Interstate in the 27 size.