• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

four stroke oil

slick2526

What brand/type of oil are you guys using in your outboards? I just bought a 2000 50HP Honda 4 stroke tiller. Looking for suggestions on a brand of oil that is good for this type of motor? I would prefer if it is. carried at local hardware stores and big name hardware and retail stores. Thanks for ant suggestions

Does the owner's manual have any specification of type and weight to use?

I use the manufacturers brand oil, since the motor is still under warranty and that resolves one potential argument should something bad happen. But you are not in that situation.

You can download the manual from honda by searching for honda outboard owners manual download (not comfortable posting link)

You need serial number to get right one.

I stumbled around and found a manual labeled 2000, and it said

Quote:
Recommended

oil

Use high-detergent,

premium quality

4-stroke engine

oil, certified to meet

or exceed U.S.

automobile manufactures’

requirements for

American Petroleum

Institute (API) Service

Classification SG, SH, Engine oils

classified SG, SH will

show these designations

on the container.

SAE SW-30

is recommended

for general,

all-temperature

use (BF40A/50A).

API Service

Grade: Use

a Fuel Efficient SG, SH oil

The chart shows 10w30 as acceptable above 0 degrees F.

I would recommend the 10-30 Amsoil 4 stroke oil. Great stuff you would be happy with it. Follow the link below to find the oil that you need.

http://www.oil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/?zo=1925870

What brand/type of oil are you guys using in your outboards? I just bought a 2000 50HP Honda 4 stroke tiller. Looking for suggestions on a brand of oil that is good for this type of motor? I would prefer if it is. carried at local hardware stores and big name hardware and retail stores. Thanks for ant suggestions

I use Mercury 4 stroke oil in my Merc.

My dad use Sierra oil and filters and I believe most boat dealers would have that on hand and maybe even a few stores like Wally World.

He had zero issues with this brand. A friend of mine services outboards and he also uses this brand of oil and filter. Just make sure you get the 4 stroke oil for the 4 strokes.

I believe they make oil filters for most if not all major brand name outboards.

While under warranty, I used Yamalube oil for my Yammy F75. After I've used Mobil 1 10w-30. It tested out very well for corrosion resistance and wear in a test conducted years ago. Trailer Boats magazind maybe?

I have noticed less "making oil" with the M1, which surprised me. I thought it would be the other way around. My outboard really does this in cold water trolling situations.

You can sometimes have fuel blowing by the rings and entering the crankcase oil. Thus your oil volume grows with fuel dilution. Usually happens with 4 strokes that are not broken in properly (babied without enough WOT timee as prescribed during first 10-20 hrs). To a lesser degree it can happen at extended periods of low RPM trolling or idling even after proper breakin. Even more so when the water is cold.

Remedy is to usually crank her up to WOT for a few minutes to burn it off.

The recommended oil is 5w-30. I ended up calling the guy I bought the boat from and he always used mobil 1 10w-30. I will just stick with what he has been using instead of changing to something different now.