• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Red Tailed Hawk Family

Shack

As I stated in the Owl thread we have had a family of owls set up in the wooded area of our property. I have yet to see the male or female face on or in plain view yet but got a little glimpse of the mother this evening:

full-18196-32200-own_eye_two.jpg

Still trying to figure out which species this is. Any ideas?

Definitely a hawk. The only dark eyed owl that would be found in Minnesota is the Barred Owl, and this is definitely not that. Based on your location and what I can make out of the plumage, I would guess Red Tailed Hawk.

Yes. I finally got a better view and it is obvious it is a Red Tailed Hawk. My wife and son were wrong but to their defense we do have a few owls around the area because they can be an annoyance at night when the windows are open and you are trying to sleep. grin

Anyways it is a Red Tailed Hawks nest as I found a week or so when I was able to get a full glimpse of the what species it really was.

full-18196-32513-retail_hawk_4.jpg

full-18196-32514-red_tailed_hawk_5.jpg

full-18196-32515-red_tailed_hawk_6.jpg

Here are some as it sits on the nest as it does for days on end since it was cold and damp:

full-18196-32516-red_tailed_hawk_2.jpg

full-18196-32517-red_tailed_hawk_3.jpg

full-18196-32518-red_tailed_hawk_1.jpg

The nest is a ways up

full-18196-32519-red_tailed_hawk_nest.jp

and I believe it's time to invest in a new pir of binoculars or better yet a new spotting scope. My wife and son swore up and down it was an owl even after I had seen it was a hawk. I had to show them the images above to get them to be convinced it was not owl. grin Then my son said the hawk must have taken over the nest. laugh

It's a Red Tailed hawk's nest. smile

Still watching these hawks every day to see when the the little ones hatch and I think we might be getting close. Momma and Poppa are becoming more and more active and maybe this is due to the sunnier and warmer days?

Also starting to put together video on their actions and should be able to put together some time line footage when things come and go. Might even set up at a better vantage point soon. wink

full-18196-32766-red_tailed_hawk_jumbled

full-18196-32767-momma_red_tailed_hawk_p

full-18196-32768-both_red_tailed_hawks_p