• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice needed on new chest waders?

My old (15 years) Lacrosse chest waders have started leaking at the crotch seam, I need to get a new pair before the season. Looking for long lasting and durable, able to take the abuse of walking thru cattails and brush. How about the new neopremes, how do you like them? Are they easier to walk in? The spots that I hunt I usually end up walking a 1/2 mile to the slough.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Waders are a tough decision. I sweat to death in my 5mm neoprenes around opener or when I do alot of walking in them. On the other hand they keep me plenty warm during the later part of the season which is something that the rubber ones did not do. I should probably get 2 pairs, alighter and the 5mm. I thought my current pair seeped when I used them last opener but it was just me sweating. I am more careful with neoprenes which is ok cause I slow down which helps keep me from taking a plunge and keeps me a little drier. I use the cabelas waders that have the wide velcro straps, I think they are the "armor" ones. Cabelas was good about returns when I did have a pair that seeped in the seams. If you take care of them and have no mishaps they last quite awhile.

I have the Gander Mtn. Guide series 5mm neoprenes. Last fall we had to break through about a half inch of ice in this bay we were hunting. I was definetly sweating by the time we were set up. The thing is, from my chest down I was covered in sweat and the temp was something like 10 degrees with plenty of wind and I never once got cold. If you hunt a lot around opener and not much in the late season then definetly get the thinner (3mm I think) waders. If you hunt a lot in the late season you might want to think about getting the thicker ones but you can definetly get by with the thinner ones. All I wear under mine in the early to mid season is a pair of shorts.

But get the neoprenes for sure.

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 07-20-2004).]

Look at the Hodgman Dura-Stretch 5mm waders. They have an abrasion coating they call "Dura-Stretch" material that is something else. Can take a lot of punishment. The only thing is they only offer this coating in the 5mm line. They can get hot in early season but you'll love them if you hunt late into the year. Let me know if you would like more info, edjwendt(at)juno(dot)com, I can get awsome prices through connections.

Look at the Brush Wacker line. If you are walking thru sticks and brush a cheap pair of neos won't hold up. I bought a cheap pair one time. I sat on a beaver damm and ripped them up pretty bad.
Cabelas has a good pair for a decent price. I know they are Cabelas brand. They have a rougher finish on the outside of them. I have been wearing mine for five year now without a problem.
As far as walking in them. I think they are easier to walk in than the canvas or rubber ones due to the form fit.
Hope this helps.

------------------
Hunt Snow Geese, Save the tundra