• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help w/Decorative Wraps by Billy Vivona

Hi All,

I'm trying to understand what Billy Vivona is showing in his book. The questions have to do with understanding his nomenclature. For example on page 32 there is an arrow with spacing A.

Here is the Arrow pattern

full-1208-30414-arrow.jpg

and here is the table from the Spacing Chart for the arrow.

full-1208-30415-arrowspacing.jpg

How does the spacing chart read in reference to the arrow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The way I read it is, how many passes you want to make is how big of a box you make. So if you want to make 8 passes of thread (inside box) you would make a 2 mm box.

It is for size A or B thread, and it is that size as there is only one pass filling the box. If you have thread from both sides you will have a different spacing guide that will make a bigger box.

Hope this helps

No it should be the distance between the threads. You can lay out "X" amount of threads and measure the distance if you want to be sure.

All threads will measure out a little bit different. I use a lot of Madeira and that measures a bit smaller than the average "A". Also if you use NCP thread that tends to measure a little bit thicker than standard "A"

Close but no cigar.

You are correct that it is a reference to the size of the wrap.

The A&B is the distance between the two crosses to give you the desired size. This is referring to a space down the length down the blank not between the thread.

All of Billy's spacings are for #40 madera thread and its a little smaller then size "A" thread.

Make sure you read the first chapters of the book so that you have a better understanding of he system

Thanks Guys,

I've started to reread the section on deciphering a pattern. I'm sure it will get easier to understand the more I read it. So I maybe asking more questions as time goes on.

Does anyone know how Coats and Clark machine embroidery #40 compares to #40 Madera or "A" thread?

Thanks

You should shoot Billy an email. Great guy and loves helping others with wraps!

You could but don't be surprised if it takes some time for him to reply.

Billy's shop AKA NERB headquarters was destroyed during hurricane Sandy. He is is the process of rebuilding but it sound like it may take a while for him to get up and running at full steam again.

You should shoot Billy an email. Great guy and loves helping others with wraps!

You could but don't be surprised if it takes some time for him to reply.

Billy's shop AKA NERB headquarters was destroyed during hurricane Sandy. He is is the process of rebuilding but it sound like it may take a while for him to get up and running at full steam again.

Thanks CHM and A.W. for your comments. I'm picking more up the more I read the sections over. I'll keep plugging away, but may need some help along the way if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks

Billy posts almost daily on rod building

You can't keep a good man down![Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Billy posts almost daily on rod building

You can't keep a good man down!

Thanks for the tip CHM.

I have difficultly getting logged into that HSOforum and when asking for assistance they seem willing to help up to a certain point, but still no access for me.

Yep, been through all that. When I get my my return email to change my password. It doesn't know me. I've tried to access the HSOforum last year and now this year. It is time for me to move on because I'm not getting anywhere in my pursuit to access that body of knowledge.

I think everyone for your help, but if you have an in with someone there that can flush out all of my past info so I can start over, maybe that's a way to go, I don't.

Does anyone know how Coats and Clark machine embroidery #40 compares to #40 Madera or "A" thread?

I just found this post after doing a Google search. Andy and Chuck thanks for answerring CHester's question, and as they pointed out I'm always willing to help answer questions so e-mailing me is no problem.

In regards to teh size of the thread and the spacing chart - don't split hairs. What I do with the Spacing charts is add a little bit, so if it says 2mm, I'll leave 3mm. THis allows me to construct the pattern and not constantly pack to squeeze threads in, rather I can get all the threads in, and then I pack the entire pattern in towards the center to remove teh gaps.

Thanks for posting and it is a treat to see you here Billy!

Welcome to HSO.

There is no better source for information then directly from the writer himself.

Please stop by often and I'm sure you will meet a few on here next week at the BYOB in WI.

Andy

Apparantly I registered here in 2008, but never made a post. Too many forums to keep track of what's what, lol. I bookmarked this one so I'll check in every so often. lmao, I thought you were from England, hahaha.

I know Chester will be attending next week, happy to know a few others from here as well (Chad). Hopefully everything goes well and my book makes more sense after I explain how to use it (lmao all I'm going to do is read from it, 90% of the info that I cover is already in teh book but hearing it out loud is different than reading). Seriously...I have yarn and will demonstrate how teh patterns are built on a PVC pipe so it's easy for everyone to see.

Hopefully everything goes well and my book makes more sense after I explain how to use it (lmao all I'm going to do is read from it, 90% of the info that I cover is already in teh book but hearing it out loud is different than reading). Seriously...I have yarn and will demonstrate how teh patterns are built on a PVC pipe so it's easy for everyone to see.

The yarn on PVC idea sound like a winner!

large enough so that every one can see the whole possess.