• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Ones For Next Year

fish4u

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys carefully carving fish out of wood, meticulously painting them, then pulling them around in the bathtub on a string- no wonder women think we're from another planet!! smilesmile

Well I mean it is pretty barbaric to take a giant spear and stick fish with it lol : )

I used an airbrush with acrylic paint I bought from Walmart for everything except the spots which I used a sharpie marker and cleared over. I can see that I will have to invest in a better airbrush if I want to do more detail work.

My airbrush is just a $10 harbor freight model that I bought just to start with. My plan is to upgrade to a little higher end one like what you have dorkfish. Any suggestions on what to get? It sounds like the paasche brand is the way to go

Here is my first attempt at carving my own decoy. I'm getting so anxious to try it out in something bigger than the bath tub!

full-42297-35827-image.jpg

welcome to the fun!!!

The first one that swims is always the hardest. Great job on the paint.

I have been swimming my new ones in the above ground pond. I get some stange looks from the neighborsw, but its worth it. wink

full-38926-35929-image.jpg

Long eared sunfish so far

So far it looks good. How long and tall? The sunfish I make run on the smaller side, 4-4.5" and are a lot of fun in the hole. Mostly from teasing the LM and other sunfish, but they are still fun.

Seeing you guys who carve your own tails is making me want to give it a go. I found some material that I think will work. It's birch, but it should work. I just need to make sure it fits in the band saw.

That's made out of white pine it's very sod which is nice to cut through but very sappy. I also use cedar not as sappy and I usually pick it up cheap from lowes because it gets warped. Also that sunfish is 7 inches long and about 4 inches tall. And making the tail is kind of tricky because if you make it too tight you'll have little circles and if you make it too wide you'll be making 5 foot circles lol.