• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PS4 vs XBOX 720

Scott K

The new counsels will be coming out this fall. It looks like the grapics will be a whole lot better, and the speed of the processors have been increased a lot. I seen some of the new game highlight, trailers. They look pretty promising. I cant wait to see what the next phase of gaming will bring us.

I've heard rumors that the new Xbox will now have the capability of supporting large #'s of online players in a single game. No more of the 16 or 24 player games. Another rumor that I've heard is used games can't be played on the Xbox. I don't play many games, and usually buy new, but that is kind of irritating if it's true.

And finally, do you think Microsoft learned from it's previous mistakes and will ship enough Xbox's for the launch this time?

I purchased an original at launch and also a 360 at launch (well about 2 weeks after and had to mow down a few people in my path to get it) so I imagine I’d probably pick up a 720 at launch too. Not really sure yet though. I don’t think I’ll consider the PS4, but that is just my twisted fanboy logic. I wonder if the game prices will follow previous pricing schemes?

Original=$39-49.99 360=$49-59.99 720-$59-69.99????

Hopefully M$ will keep the console under $400

I am pretty sure that MW4 will be the headlined title launch game for the new XBox

I purchased an original at launch and also a 360 at launch (well about 2 weeks after and had to mow down a few people in my path to get it) so I imagine I’d probably pick up a 720 at launch too. Not really sure yet though. I don’t think I’ll consider the PS4, but that is just my twisted fanboy logic. I wonder if the game prices will follow previous pricing schemes?

Original=$39-49.99 360=$49-59.99 720-$59-69.99????

Hopefully M$ will keep the console under $400

I am pretty sure that MW4 will be the headlined title launch game for the new XBox

I bet your right about mw4, if I can get a good trade in on my 360 slim I may consider upgrading

This is a technology based question, not business/consumer based (I am a business manager, I understand the idea behind releasing new products)

But, have developers actually started to use all of the capabilities that the ps3 has to offer?

No, PS3 isnt maxed out, but with all of the new speeds, and memory of the PS4 , it is much easier to make the cool stuff work on the PS4, then the PS3.

No, PS3 isnt maxed out, but with all of the new speeds, and memory of the PS4 , it is much easier to make the cool stuff work on the PS4, then the PS3.

The only reason PS3 isn't maxed out is the games are output at 720P and then upscaled to 1080P. It has roughly the same processing power as the XBox 360 and the XBox is definitely maxed. It has basically a Radeon 1800 in it, capable of 240 GFlops and has 240 shader units. A current generation graphics card (Radeon 7970) is capable of 3970 GFlops and has 2048 shader units. Apparently the PS4 has a toned down Radeon 7000 series processor. The new Xbox likely will as well. A fully clocked unit would throw off way too much heat for a console. As the hardware matures and AMD switches to smaller processes, I would suspect both will gradually ramp the clock up to the 1GHz max of the 7000 series. It looks likely they would start out much closer to 500 MHz.

In english please...

I think what he was saying is, that we should see much improved games with the new systems, because the developers have much more advancements to work with, compared to the old outdated systems.

I think what he was saying is, that we should see much improved games with the new systems, because the developers have much more advancements to work with, compared to the old outdated systems.

^This.

The PS3 can display 1080P games, but due to framerate issues, only a handful are actually programmed to it. It can also display 4k still shots. The PS3 + XBox 360 both only have about 1/2 GB RAM, whereas the PS4 will have 8GB (next XBox is rumored at 8GB as well). So between increased RAM, up to date processors and video cards, they should be a nice upgrade over existing hardware. PS3 is also adding an additional processor to run the operating system and do background tasks, such as downloads/chat/etc....

its going to come down to personal preference both platforms are going to be very close to each other performance wise, with that said i will be getting the xbox at some point its the only modern game system i have owned and other than my wii its the only one for me, i just like it better than playstation and everyone i game with is on xbox so that makes it an even easier decision.

The only reason PS3 isn't maxed out is the games are output at 720P and then upscaled to 1080P. It has roughly the same processing power as the XBox 360 and the XBox is definitely maxed. It has basically a Radeon 1800 in it, capable of 240 GFlops and has 240 shader units. A current generation graphics card (Radeon 7970) is capable of 3970 GFlops and has 2048 shader units. Apparently the PS4 has a toned down Radeon 7000 series processor. The new Xbox likely will as well. A fully clocked unit would throw off way too much heat for a console. As the hardware matures and AMD switches to smaller processes, I would suspect both will gradually ramp the clock up to the 1GHz max of the 7000 series. It looks likely they would start out much closer to 500 MHz.

This is actually the answer I was looking for... heh.

Thanks smile