• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

starting seeds indoors- What am i doing wrong?

Steve Bakken

Every February I start my seedlings indoors. Four 4ft flourescent "plant" bulbs just inches above. They start out really well and then about a month into it they seem to go dormant. They are green, but just stop growing. By May they're still vurtually the same size as they were a month after they sprouted. The geraniums drop a mature leaf for every new one they shoot out. I've tried running the light at twelve hour cycles, and also round the clock. It doesn't seem to make a difference. Anyone else had this problem and figured out what's wrong?

Are they in cells or planted randomly in an open flat? it sounds like they may be running out of root space to continue developing. Like a lot of plants, they will only get as big and the root space will allow. Have you tried transplanting them to a larger pot after the first 4 weeks or so?

I've seen this on tomatoes that I've started too early. As soon as I move them to a larger pot, they take off.

Nutrients are also probably an issue. Try adding a small amount of fertilizer to keep them going. The plants I start get a dose of fertilizer once they are about 6" tall and have several mature leaves.

Some seed starting mix is basically peat and vermiculite and doesn't have long lasting fertilizer if any. Check the bag and see what it says.

I would give them a shot of fertilizer, a weak solution of soluble plant food would be easy.

I had the same problem a couple years ago, and the only thing I could figure out that I did any different than any other years was us Jiffy seed starting mix. I now buy my starting mix with my seeds from Gurney's or Henry Fields. Good Luck, I started peppers last week, Tom's this week.

Also,along with some nutes, some grow bulbs are just that,grow bulbs...it definitely makes a difference if you have a ballast that puts out enough power to"power" your bulbs..

Check out t5 lighting,my wife used to to the cheap light thing with a lot of her garden veggies to give a head start.i bought her a 4 bulb 2' t5 light and what a difference !!!

Are you growing these in a basement where the temps are below 70 degrees. Your problem could be the soil temps are too low. Most seedlings want temps at least above 70 degree where a basement might have temps as low as 60. I am experimenting with warmers using rope lights under the soil to try and maintain a temp around 75. I have found in my basement without the warmers that my soil temps are around 62 degrees and could be the cause of plants that wont mature at these temps.

I can't speak on starting flowers, but I've always had terrific luck with tomatoes, peppers, and once even did a couple hundred sweet corn plants just to get a little jump on the season.

I've always done it the same way; seed starter trays with the small openings (and a clear lid), each filled to the top with Miracle Grow seed starter mix. Simply plant each cell with 2-3 seeds, wet to saturation, cover with clear lid, and set in the sun.

If the lid is constantly dripping and weeping it's too wet. If it's never showing signs of condensation it's too dry. Once the seeds germinate, and the plants get to be 3-4 inches high, I permanently remove the cover, keep the plant cells wet, and just let em' grow in the sun. Never have I used a grow light.

We do upwards of 50-60 tomato plants, and 20-30 pepper plants, of many varieties, and I've always grown strong, hardy plants. Once spring rolls around I set them out of the deck in the sun, uncovered, during the day, and take them back in at night (always protecting them from wind) until they're ready to transplant to the gardens.

Is it possible that the grow light is simply making the plants too hot? Seedlings are extremely sensitive to temperature until they have time to "acclimate".

Aren't bulbs designed to be just planted outdoors once the soil warms to a comfortable temp? Again, I'm a vegetable gardener, so I know very little about growing flowers/bulbs. The wife and I buy tons of starter flowers each spring and fill dozens of pots around the house. I probably couldn't grow a flower from seed if I tried! smile

I can't speak on starting flowers, but I've always had terrific luck with tomatoes, peppers, and once even did a couple hundred sweet corn plants just to get a little jump on the season.

I've always done it the same way; seed starter trays with the small openings (and a clear lid), each filled to the top with Miracle Grow seed starter mix. Simply plant each cell with 2-3 seeds, wet to saturation, cover with clear lid, and set in the sun.

If the lid is constantly dripping and weeping it's too wet. If it's never showing signs of condensation it's too dry. Once the seeds germinate, and the plants get to be 3-4 inches high, I permanently remove the cover, keep the plant cells wet, and just let em' grow in the sun. Never have I used a grow light.

+1