• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2013 plans???

Scoot

Yeah, I guess those are all valid concerns. However, if ever I move to MN I'll be doing everything I could to pull a ND muley tag every chance I got. I'm biased- I love muley hunting and I won't deny it for a second!

I won't try to talk you into it- if it's not in your blood, it's not. It's in mine though! Numbers aren't as good, oil stuff is a pain in the behind, etc. but I can't wait to get out there again. Puttin' a stalk on a big ol' muley is so dang fun...

I just move to NW Indiana, so I'll be hoping to get permission on some private land and get my first opportunity at a decent buck. We'll see on the turkeys, probably don't have the vacation time to hit up MN like I usually do, so that may be off the table for this spring

Well my main goal is to get my daughter halle a dear with her new bow, Im cashing in 3 preference points anshould be drawing to hunt bear on family land just a little west of bemidji mn. plus of course my home site in no qouta. Halle set the bar pretty high for her old man an talk is cheap so I plan on sticking one with the horzontal. Scoot where ya hunting bear?

I'm planning on doing a DIY SD Antelope hunt again this year. Hopefully have another great trip but I am looking for a little more success this year! Other than that same old same old for me, MN deer and hopefully getting my first turkey this year with the bow! Already started scouting for this fall, looking to get a little more serious about whitetails.

1 preference point is never good odds but it dose happen , but based on allowable tages an applications enterd, if not drawn then you have have a chance to get a surplus tag. if you dont buy a tag you will go into next years drawing with 2 points which increases the odds of geting drawin.

I'm tentatively planning to take up bowhunting again. Been many years since family/work/time allowed, so I'm really excited about getting back on that wagon! I'd like to tag my first respectable buck with a bow and arrow this fall.

Would also love to get my boys back out to central Nodak for some roosters, sharpies, and the ubiquitous waterfowl! My youngest will carry a gun for the first time this fall, and I'd like to immerse him in many opportunities.

Really looking forward to this coming hunting season with BOTH my boys, and my youngest daughter. Many walks in the woods with the kids, the wife, and the dog, many hours in the tree stand with each of my kids, numerous mornings in the duck blind with the boys, as well as lots of time on the water with the whole fam this summer...but that's another thread. smile

Likely will return to Africa in October again, so hope that doesn't take too big a bite out of the hunting season.

Really...hunting and fishing season should just be open year round. It would make everything so much easier.

i kind of been thinking about doing a float trip down a river in a canoe during the pre-rut. paddling 100 yards or so getting on land calling for a half hour and see what happens.

I've seen some absolute monster bucks floating the Sauk, this is a great way to go about it - IF you know where you are and there's public land available by river

water is often a fantastic way of getting into unpressured areas without the deer knowing you are there

Scoot- i have 1 preference point for area 31 for bear hunting. what are my chances for getting it this year? if i get drawn can i not get a tag. and roll over my points for the following year.

Sorry rkhinrichs, I'm a complete bear rookie- I'd listen to Boar. Boar's got tons of bear experience and he's got a serious bear itch about seven days a week, as far as I can tell!

Lol! its the toughest thing to scratch too cause hardley anyone talkes about till baiting gets close. its not fair, not fair I say.. you guys talk about trail cam pics an sheds an herds an stuf, its not my fault bear hibernate. I feel so alone. grin

My plans are to buy a lifetime license in MN while I am still a resident so that I can continue to hunt in MN a lot cheaper once I move. I will be relocating to ND for work in a couple weeks so I plan to apply for residency in ND in order to purchase an archery tag cheaper. The way I understand it, resident archery tags are sold otc and valid for whitetail or muley? Either way, I would love to take a mule deer buck with my bow.

I'd probably only hunt a couple weekends in MN so I'm thinking I'll just burn that tag on a doe and spend my time going after a big one in ND.

My plans are to buy a lifetime license in MN while I am still a resident so that I can continue to hunt in MN a lot cheaper once I move. I will be relocating to ND for work in a couple weeks so I plan to apply for residency in ND in order to purchase an archery tag cheaper. The way I understand it, resident archery tags are sold otc and valid for whitetail or muley? Either way, I would love to take a mule deer buck with my bow.

That's what I did with the lifetime license in MN, Matt. It sure is nice looking at what I paid and what I'd pay each year... You're right about the resident tag situation (for now). If I can be of any more help with muleys let me know.

Scoot, I am planning my 1st MT archery elk hunt. Although a long shot, I will be applying for a Breaks area permit for first choice. I was wondering if you could share any of the info you gained last year before applying for your permit? I am wondering some of the same questions. Which HD to apply for in regards to access by boat and away from some of the hunting pressure? Thanks for any reply Scoot. BMF

More than I should but that never stops me.

MN turkey season B

MN bear

MN archery deer and likely shotgun and metro park hunt if drawn.

MN waterfowl early and regular season

Manitoba waterfowl in October

SD West River rifle

SD archery East River

Iowa shotgun or late muzzle loader I'm not sure which yet.

Maybe one more SD tag if I can fit it in my plans.

Archery Turkey MN A season

7-10 day archery Elk hunt in CO

Archery deer hunt MN

Couple of days of Rifle deer hunting in MN

I have 30 days off starting Sept 1st so I plan to elk hunt for the first 7-10 days and then hunt early season archery deer hard but smart.

Looking forward to breaking the Insanity CPXL in, hopefully on a turkey about 6 weeks from now.

An addition to my 2013 plans- I drew a ND turkey tag, so I'll add that to the list. I can't wait! Now, if my bow would ever show up, I could get it up and running...

After spending $1000 to apply for the tag, Its official, I'm going Elk hunting this fall and very excited about it! Now, I can't wait for draw results to see WHERE exactly I'm going in MT. Other than my archery Elk hunt, I plan on deer hunting too and hopefully a fishing trip or two soon if this weather would change. Spring fever is here!

Cool- good luck with the draw, King! If you ever get the itch to work on some calling feel free to give me a call again. It's a little intimidating practicing calling when you don't feel like a perfectly proficient caller, but spending time with someone with more calling experience than you is worth its weight in gold, IMO.

When do you find out about the MT draw- I can never remember when each state posts its results. Hope for the LE tag but plan for a general unit would be my suggestion.

I will probably take you up on that offer Scoot! Thanks. Draw results for MT should be out mid to late April. Have really been trying to disect some different general areas on the map lately too. I also found the HSOforum for the elk hunting/calling techniques you mentioned. I will be ordering some of his "Kool Aid" too! Thanks again Scoot.