• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scopes for ML's

For those that want the season to be a primitive season, would you choose to hunt it if you were restricted to flint lock and round ball/patch? No modern inline, modern powders and sabots? I am sure some would, but I suspect the greater number of current ml hunters wouldn't.

How are those that want scopes on muzzleloaders any more greedy than the so called traditional hunter that uses other modern conveniences (inline, modern powder, sabots) when the ml hunt today? Seems the same to me.

For me it would be no skin off my teeth if the season went that way. Would I be disappointed? Sure. I like the option to be more selective during the firearms season knowing I can hold off any maybe get something during the ml season. I am not concerned with the hunt being traditional or not.

Would I use a scope if they were allowed? 50/50 I like the simplicity of open sites, but also like the clarity of a scope. He11, I hunted the rile zone for 2 years with a smooth bore 12 gauge (no scope) before I bought my current rifle. I was confident between 50-70 yards with that gun, and that's the shots I took. Scope or no scope won't change how risky a shot I will take. I am conservative in that regard, and wait until I have a high percentage killing shot available.

I know someone who regularly wounds and loose animals during the archery season. He rarely practices, so it's no surprise it happens. That type of hunter will always wound an loose animals during any season and with any weapon, scope or no scope. Conscientious hunters will be just the opposite.

In the end, I will follow whatever the state allows for seasons, as I suspect most of you reading this will.

Happy hunting!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Senator Ingebrigtsen's week in review e-mial:

"...On Wednesday the committee debated and passed the Game & Fish Bill after removing controversial restrictions on sand mining in southeastern Minnesota. Also passed was the non-controversial Lands Bill which will authorize counties around the state to sell or exchange a number of publicly owned parcels that are better suited to be in private ownership. In that bill I was able to attach an amendment which allows scopes on muzzleloaders for the muzzleloader season

From Senator Ingebrigtsen's week in review e-mial:

"...On Wednesday the committee debated and passed the Game & Fish Bill after removing controversial restrictions on sand mining in southeastern Minnesota. Also passed was the non-controversial Lands Bill which will authorize counties around the state to sell or exchange a number of publicly owned parcels that are better suited to be in private ownership. In that bill I was able to attach an amendment which allows scopes on muzzleloaders for the muzzleloader season

Has there been any recent updates?