• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spear house improvement heating idea

BehindtheHead

ok i have a problem in my fish house. its to hot even at 0 with the heater on low as it goes. its just a simple tube burner heater that you have to light with a lighter.

my idea is to put a 12 volt gas valve on the heater with a thermostat to kick the heater on and off. i will need to put a standing pilot and a thermocupler in the heater so when the thermostat calls for heat (gas) it will light the burner.

i have a 12 volt batery in the house already to run a fan and lights so power is already there. i was thinking a solar panel trickle charger would be good so i didnt have to take the battery home every day.

there are lots of sharp minds on the forum. would just like to bounce this idea of of them. any problems, better ideas.

o ya i have all the parts for a thermocopler and standing pilot. i just need the gas valve that can be spendy but i havent found the right one yet.

Merk put the heater out of a camper in his and I think it works great for him but he probably will chime in on that one.

I went to the old wood stove this year, but when I had a the gas stove I had thoughts of just putting a electroic igniter over the burner (like the ones on a grill)so all you wood have to do is lick it to fire it up.

I'm not telling you to do this....

anything involving gas should be done by professionals.

plain and simple don't do this.

we did this with a pig cooker... we took the guts out of a gas oven.

Hooked them up to a custom burner and it works great.

I have a heater from a pop up camper in my spear Shack.

I get 50 hours of runtime out of 1 marine battery charge.

that easily goes 3 days and that runs a large blower fan.

It is great, same temp on the floor as it is on the ceiling.

The fan is louder than a buddy heater though.

for 50 bucks you can get a used 1 of those

if you get the right gas valve it does not require electricity...the thermocouple provides power to the gas valve.... the gas fireplace in my house works like this with no external power required.

Maybe a small used gas fireplace your ticket... snuggle up to the fire while your spearing... smile

If you have 12 volt power available... look into electronic ignition you don't have to worry about the pilot light going out when you're not there.

once again not really something to mess with since there are options out there that will do what you're looking to do without having to risk your life (or others) with research and development whistlewinksmile