• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who else brings your dog when you go fishing?

Lusid

Who else brings your dog when you go fishing?

Also - how do they handle the lake? Do they go crazy?

My dog did not like the crackling/booming ice noises and wouldn't get in the ice house until 15mins after I had my Eskimo setup.

Picture of Gizmo waiting for fish to come thru the hole.

full-22855-28991-486143_1010275805955847

i bring my yellow lab with... once in the house she just lays and waits.... but with no snow cover out on the ice... getting her from the truck to the house can be a challenge. She is absolutley freaked about ice... i let her out once and found her 20 yards from the house shakking and whinning on a little patch of snow....

I brought a couple of mine out separately a few years back. One of them is in the picture of my avatar with my one man portable. Mostly it didn't work out really well. They wanted to visit the other fishermen and every time I pulled a fish out of the hole they barked. So I never did it again.

I bring my young black lab . I havent brought her in a portbale yet just a wheel house. She has her pillow on the floor in the corner and she dosent move until you give her the okay. Didnt teach her to do this just does it. She is not scared of the ice cracking she is just afraid of her feeling when she wakes up after snooring for the whole night. I think it is becasue her throat is totally dry and she is just 45 lbs.

I bring my lab with every time. He mostly just lays around until its time to pack up and go home. It doesn't even seem like he is having any fun but if I leave him home with the wife he whines by the front door until I get home.

Brought my old lab every time out to the wheel house. Now that shes gone, I've been bringing the new 8wk old pup out as well. Its a bit more of a challenge but I want her to get used to it. When hunting season is closed, I enjoy bringing the dog fishing in the boat or in the ice house.

They make pretty good company !!

Before I tell you about my current dog I want to tell you that I had 2 Brittany's back to back for 28 years and loved those dogs!! They didn't ice fish with me but they could sure hunt.

My current dog belonged to my brother-in-law and he had her from birth to 11 months old. At that point he moved and couldn't have a dog in his new residence. My wife asked me if we could take her home. I've been married to her for 42 years and hadn't had a dog since my last Brittany died. Was I going to tell her no??? No Way!!!!The current dog is a Cocker Spaniel minature and she is great!!! She is liver and white (not a mix, I have papers) with roam face. She loves to fish!!! She stands in the front of the boat and her ears flopping in the wind when we are underway. She grabbed a Rapala that was flapping in the wind and I nicknamed her "Runs with Rapala in Mouth"!! She spit the Rapala and everything was OK but I was mad at myself for not securing the lure.

I may take her ice fishing with me just to see if she looks "down the hole" in anticipation of what's coming up. If nothing else we will share a little cheese and crackers while we are there.

Mike

my doberman used to go with.. its crazy that dog would walk over to the rattle reel and stare then the rattle would go off.. it was the craziest thing. the dog could sense the rattle reel was going to spin about 20 seconds before i could here them.. then he was looking down the hole and the line wrapped around his big ear and took of running around the house tangled everything up ...

I brought with me a chunk of carpet to shield the dog from the ice + a blanket / pad for additional warmth.

I have been bringing my lab this season, he is 9 months. I too have a rubber backed rug, 2 old towels for him, but last time I called fish early because he was shivering. I even had the heater by him and my winter jacket on him when he curled up on the towels. I just have a 3 man pop up and there was no snow on the lake to pat down the skirts. Does anybody use any sort of jacket or vest on their dogs to keep them warm?

Mydogryder - I would go find a cheap 20-30 dollar sleeping bag and bring that. Garage sale or target probably has something.

With short haired dogs they seem to get cold quicker. My dog is a standard poodle and grows hair like a sheep so he gets cold after 3hrs around 10 degrees.

I bring my Springer Spaniel sometimes. Usually only bring him if my wife isn't home and he'd be left alone all day. It's a little more difficult to be highly mobile with him, but he does okay. When he's awake he likes to sit and watch the hole waiting for a fish to come through it. If it's slow and nothing happening he'll usually curl up and sleep. Right now I only have a portable so room gets to be a little tighter and dogs are good at catching your line on their paws, ears, back and anywhere else.

If I had a permanent shack and was just setting tip ups I would probably bring him a lot more. My dog loves people and likes to visit them ... a little too much. I'm lucky that I live in NW WI and don't normally fish around too many people on the lakes I fish.

Tucker

I am all for bringing the pup out fishing, mine stays home unless Im hitting up a family members perm where he is contained and can lay down lol

Just a note, if you bring your dog fishing, please keep track of them, Ive had some unpleasant encounters with others pets while fishing. and equally had some great encounters. But please, make sure you know where your pup is at all times out there...

I take my 1 year old lab with every time. She knows exactly where we are going as soon as a put my fishing jacket on. She is better in the house than my 3yr old daughter! Tries to bite the tail of every fish we catch.

full-13261-29063-2011_01_1515.11.36.jpg

full-13261-29064-2011_01_1512.29.18.jpg

This is my old lab "Dakota" she always went to the fish house with me. Now my 2 year old lab "Belle" fishes with me. Word to the wise, watch your treble hooks on all your rigs. Had my brother's overly curious husky snagged himself in the nose, needless to say we had to do some makeshift vet care.

100_0032.jpg

I bring my doodle fishing, but Ice fishing in my pop up is too much stress for me I dont want her to get hooked. In the summer she wants to retrieve the lure every time i cast the wife will hold her down the hole time.

If you can keep lucy on the boat she's a great partner other than that she jumps off (even at speed) and gets everything wet