• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Changing brake fluid

Just had my car in for 45,000 mile maintainence and they said I should have the brake fluid replaced. I've never had that done with any of my previous vehicles. Should I get it done for $100 or just keep an eye on the fluid level? Thanks DrJ.....

Its not a bad idea to do it although I personally think 45,000 is sooner than needed unless it is a low mileage older car. If you actually need pads at this time and its all apart anyway its as good a time as any to do it.

Its also something you can do easily yourself if you are even a bit mechanically inclined.

You can open the bleeders and let it gravity bleed but make sure to keep the master cylinder full. Once the fronts start dripping clean fluid close them then do the rears. If you have drum rear brakes you may need an assistant to slowly pump the brake pedal to flush them.

You will probably use a quart or so of fluid and save about 90 bucks off the quote you got.

Just had my car in for 45,000 mile maintainence and they said I should have the brake fluid replaced. I've never had that done with any of my previous vehicles. Should I get it done for $100 or just keep an eye on the fluid level? Thanks DrJ.....

Please include year, make, model, and engine size when posting automotive questions.

Don't worry about the flush until you have the brakes serviced or if your interested there are several tests that can be done to determine the water content.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic. That means it likes to absorb moisture. Moisture in the brake fluid reduces the boil point of the brake fluid. The lower the boiling point the better the chance of brake failure under emergency braking conditions.

In my 2000 S10 (2.2 auto, 175k), I am planning to change my brake fluid this spring. I did new calipers on the front last fall because the old ones were shot. When I bled the brakes after installing the new calipers I noticed the fluid looked nasty, almost greenish.

Now for the question, occasionally when I hit a bump while braking, it is almost as if I lose a bit of pressure for a second and almost lose the brakes completely. I am pretty sure the junk fluid may be playing a role in that. You guys think that is right?

Along with the brake fluid I am looking into doing new shocks, possibly upper control arms, lower control arm bushings and new upper and lower ball joints. I think all of the suspension components are a bit worn and it will help prolong the life of the truck. Hoping to take the truck to at least 250, maybe 300. The body and frame are like new, very clean, just needs a few updates to keep it running straight.