• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crawlers in the winter?

Dahitman44

Say -- my wife is a teacher and she was using some crawlers at school this last fall and she brought them home and they are very lively and juicy. I am headed to Lake of the Woods this next week and I was thinking about giving them a try on a bobber with a jig. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

You would think the fish might really like it because it is different?

Thanks

Hit

Ironically, I seen an episode of midwest outdoors last year where a guy was using a piece of crawler on a jigging spoon on LOW. He didn't seem to be catching any less fishing than the other guys in the shack, who were all using minnows.

Ironically, again, I'm heading to the horseshoe chain of lakes for some catfish through the ice today, and my dad said he's gonna give crawlers a try and see what happens.

I kept some one year in a big cooler in some worm bedding so I could try them in the winter. I tried them up on Mille Lacs and got nothing with them! frown I did use them up fishing Looper's on the North Shore how ever. wink

I've caught some perch on them on Mille Lacs (using leftovers from the summer), but I've never had all that much luck on them for walleyes. It's been a few years since I've tried it, but I used them on a jigging spoon, and they kept ripping off when I'd jig aggressively. I suspect with a subtler jigging motion you might have some luck, but I dunno.

I'd bring them with and give them a try, though!