• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Age this deer......

MUSKY18

Buddy and I are having a "disagreement" over what the age of this deer is. He is saying it is 2 1/2 year old and I am saying that it is 3 1/2 year old. So I thought I would get some opinions from here and see what y'all thought.

For me, looking at the neck of the deer, it is thick (top to bottom) and meets the chest almost to the bottom of the chest. Has a decent body, but the belly is tight and hasn't started to droop down yet. Buddy says that he is 2 1/2 because the hips are too little and the back humps up.

Lets hear what you guys think...................

full-17731-28426-deersse.jpg

As we all know, to age a deer between 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, etc. yr old is far from fool proof. Assuming this deer is around your Sauk Centre area would in my opinion allow it to grow a good set of antlers quicker given the food sources and the VERY mild 2011/2012 winter. However, I just don't see a 2 1/2 yr. old being that nicely framed up with what appears to be decent mass. To me...I'd have to say a 3 1/2 yr old. Just don't see a 2 1/2. I may be way off.

3.5 although I have sent the jaw/teeth in on a larger buck than him that was 2.5 but I also feel that specific deer was kind of a freak of nature. Picture him as a fawn, first rack, is that really his 2nd rack, I lean toward he's a 3.5 but I get it in some areas there are 2.5's at least = to him. Build a snow blind, wrestle him down lol, pull a tooth, no problem lol ! smile

by looking at his posture or back hips higher then front shoulders and looking closely at his hoofs on back legs I think he's a great 2.5 year old buck. Now if you can give us some idea on his region, not looking to make any accusations about feeding but possible good genetics and geographic of this deer would help. I'm sticking with a "mature" wink 2.5yo buck...haha

MR

you cover up his head and he sure looks like a 2 year old but he's lost a few pounds from the rut. world record hanson buck was only a 3 year old. need more pictures for a better look at his body, his head turned toward the camera is going to make his neck appear thicker.

3.5 minimum.

No ifs, ands or butts. smile

After 3 ruts to this point, if he were 2.5, he would be a lot more slender than that.

Look at those pipes for front legs. That guy has a pretty deep chest.

3.5 maximum. Guaranteed. laugh

I would guess 3.5, but it wouldn't suprise me if it was a really good 2.5 year old either. Honestly, its hard based on the "pose" of the deer, I think his body is more mature than the pose in the photo initally suggests.

1 last bit, if some are saying 2.5 which is possible as some put more into their rack in year 2 and less into the body and vice versa, that buck was maybe a fork or a 6 or something the year before, he just seemed to really put it on mild winter or not. 3.5 after Musky18 pulls a tooth tranquilizer style, actually too bad we can't age them by their darn antlers instead of teeth, could find his sheds and have your answer, but the big guy upstairs didn't want it that way lol.

Reguardless of the size of this rack, I think that deer looks 3 1/2 minimum just by his facial and body characteristics... I think mybe older. I know of many 2 year old bucks with similar antlers, but that deer just doesn't look that young to me. A run down, worn out, end of season, hungry, mature buck with an "average" set of antlers IMO.