• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? Deploying Soldier Gift

amateurfishing

Question

there are having a small party for my neighbor who is being deployed in March, anyone know what to give someone in that situation? phone card or something similar? i have no idea what kind of access to the internet or other media he has but would like to show some appreciation for his time & sacrifice and try to incorporate it with his family as well.

8 answers to this question

How about something like a Leatherman or nice knife? I'm trying to remember some of the things my cousin was wanting while deployed in Afghanistan but I think it was real basic items that you would think they would have access to like gun oil and stuff like that.

From the friends that have who have done tours in Iraq and Afghanistan I recall it being some basic stuff like LMIT mentioned. I'm not sure how much stuff they are able to bring over with them so if you intend to give him something he can use while on this tour of duty you may want to wait and send him a care package once he's actually there. That will save him from having to pack it and you may get an idea of some specific needs he has.

Other wise if you just want to give him a gift a nice knife is always a good option. If he's a fisherman as well maybe a nice rod and real combo. Give him something to look forward to using once he gets back.

What is he going to be doing? Daughter has a guy over there now and he is supervising copter mechanics. She just said that send something to the person is better than expecting that they can haul it there. The post office will give you free materials to send stuff if you ask for the military kit. She just filled up a if it fits it ships box with home made chex mix. Cookies and such get mangled and so stuff should be double boxed. Instant coffee in individual packets - starbucks flavored. She said that the food they get is good but it is the same thing -Tuesday it is ham, Wed it is X..... Card games, sodoku books,stuff to deal with the boredom. They have pretty decent internet connections while on the main base and she gets to skype with him pretty regularly.

I would bet that in a month or so after getting there the guy would rather get a letter and a few pictures a heck of a lot more than a knife (no offense to the knife suggestors.) Pics from my nephew who just got back to the US yesterday makes me think they have a lot of sitting around time and so anything to fill that would most likely be appreciated.

there are having a small party for my neighbor who is being deployed in March, anyone know what to give someone in that situation? phone card or something similar? i have no idea what kind of access to the internet or other media he has but would like to show some appreciation for his time & sacrifice and try to incorporate it with his family as well.

A pat on the back, a large thank you, and letting them know you have their back back home if there is ANYTHING they need, mowing, snowblowing, etc will go ALONG way.

It may be better to periodically send him a care package. I have a good friend who has been deployed twice, and both times he said it was hard to get good coffee and hot chocolate. I would go periodically to Sams Club and buy some multi-packs to send over. I'd also send some junk food - Twinkies, Ho Ho's, Oreos, etc. My buddy is an occasional cigar smoker so I'd send some stogies over too. It was always well appreciated.