• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Ranger 617vs Tiller

diederich06

what do you fish out of now and what kinds of fishing are you going to do with it?

i run a 690vs but have fished out of a 617 a few times and they're very similar. you'll be a little underpowered with the 80 4 stroke, but if you're willing to live with that i seriously doubt you'll have any other regrets.

it's roomy and well laid out, especially in the tiller version and will probably handle better than you can ever imagine. probably will need to add wave whackers if they're not already on there due to the lower back end.

can't comment on too much else without knowing what you'll be doing with it, but i'll tell ya that i absolutely love how my ranger runs and fishes and i hope it lasts forever.

50inch,

I will mostly be fishing walleyes whether rigging or pulling raps..

The boat does have wackers and a T8 kicker on it.

Any idea what I should expect to pay, I know they are hard to find so I need to decide here very soon..

Thanks!

Any idea what I should expect to pay, I know they are hard to find so I need to decide here very soon..

Thanks!

That's a tough question, that boat is so rare and doesn't turn over much so there's nothing to compare. Plus we would need to know condition, electronics and ideally see pictures. I can tell you the trailer is worth $2k, motor 4k to 5k and the kicker 1,500.

If you can get that boat for 10k you're doing good, it might be worth up to 13 or 14. The ranger name adds a lot.

Let us know what happens.

Ranger 617VS. 2001 80HP Yamaha 4 stroke motor. 2004 Yamaha T8 4 stroke kicker motor (electric start/power trim). 2010 Minn Kota 70lb powerdrive electric trolling motor. Lowrance HDS 5. Lowrance HDS 5x. Stainless prop. Extra alluminum prop.Splash guards. Ram rod holders. 24lb richter anchor. 3 life vests. 2 drift socks. New tires on trailer. Boat is in excellent condition and runs great.

Trailer has a lot of rock chips/causing rust look in sports.

Too high for a 12 year old 17' boat with an 80hp motor. I doubt any bank would write a loan on it. (not saying you need a loan but blue book value should be checked) Contrary to many sellers beliefs, electronics don't significantly add to the price buyers are willing to pay for a used boat.

Ranger 617VS. 2001 80HP Yamaha 4 stroke motor. 2004 Yamaha T8 4 stroke kicker motor (electric start/power trim). 2010 Minn Kota 70lb powerdrive electric trolling motor. Lowrance HDS 5. Lowrance HDS 5x. Stainless prop. Extra alluminum prop.Splash guards. Ram rod holders. 24lb richter anchor. 3 life vests. 2 drift socks. New tires on trailer. Boat is in excellent condition and runs great.

Trailer has a lot of rock chips/causing rust look in sports.

The two depth finders and TM add about $1k (compared to if it had nothing).

IMO the guys is about 5K high in his price. Doing a quick search, I found a 03' 619 for 23K, 88' 680T for 7K and a 99' 620 for 20.5K. There will be more boats coming out for sale soon.

If you have you heart set on a 617 those are hard to come by as Ranger didn't make a whole lot of them. The guys that have the 680s really seam to hold onto them as well. I don't know how big of a search area you have, but if you open it up to say 500 miles it really brings up the number of boats for sale.

Yeah I agree, 17k sounds a little high. I'd be looking more around that 14-15k range if it's in as good condition as you say, and ready to fish. Demand for those boats does drive the price up a bit, but there is a reason for that.

Sometimes you just pay a little more and treat yourself to supremely awesome toys and the decent TM, sonar and kicker also make it an nice package. Either way, if you can get it at a price that you are personally comfortable with I don't think you'll have any regrets.

Junkie - I know I've seen you on White Bear - what kind of boat do you run?

if you have it I'd go there with some cash

he's probably got it up high so he can give some and still get a good price

cash talks this time of the year another month and he will have alot more interest in this boat than now

hagle hagle !! kinda the fun part of buying things

like somebody said if you really like it and it is clean a LITTLE extra

probably wont break you

Junkie - I know I've seen you on White Bear - what kind of boat do you run?

A dark blue Stratos 386xf with Suzuki. I haven't fished out there for a few years. Last summer I was on the st croix a lot in the spring and 'tonka every weekend after that. Although I don't get much chucking in these days, two little kids means I'm usually beached at Goose island.

"If you have you heart set on a 617 those are hard to come by as Ranger didn't make a whole lot of them. The guys that have the 680s really seam to hold onto them as well" smile

Yes we do. I've thought about up grading from my 680 C, but love the 17 ft size. Everything i've seen, to be an improvement over what i have. I would have to step up to a 18ft. My 90 yam moves this along at 39(gps), and does everything i need. Would love to have something a little wider, but? grin

that is a good boat for the era. well built, good ride....... 17 is high. But I have seen that same boat with an 04 Suzuki sell for 16. I personally put very little value into electronics if they are 4 years old or more. The live a harsh life. And don’t give any warning when they are ready to retire. Plus, are they what you want, or are you going to buy a Terrova at the sprts show in a month. unless you have really wanted that specific boat for a while, I would ride it out a bit. I have seen a couple 620s come and go for only a couple grand more. I don't care for the electronics bubble they have either. But that is just me. If you do end up getting it, I would highly recommend a set of Smart Tabs to help with hole shot. Those boats were a bit heavy in the rear, andI have seen those tabs really make a difference. I have been in Ranger 690's 618's and 620's with them. And it helped greatly in all cases. Good luck with your decisions. Again, for me, 14 would be top dollar. But at the end of the day, it is all your call.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but! smile

I was wondering why the older Ranger 1760 anglers were rated for a 130 hp motor, and the new ones are rated for a 150 hp.

Here is thier reply.

"The 130HP motors disappeared from the market and the 150HP motors advanced in lighter weight technology to allow us to change the rating on later model 1760’s."