• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nils power auger tune-up required

shawno

Hey Guys,

I did a search and didn't see a thread for this particular topic. Sorry if I missed it.

I purchased my Nils power 8" auger a couple of years ago and the Tanaka engine has ran like a top, but something has changed this year and I am not sure what exactly. It is almost like the set screws for tuning the auger were adjusted. The engine seems to bog down sometimes when cutting the bottom couple of inches of the hole out to the point where it is jamming and I am having to back the blade and flighting out of the hole ( which is delicate work as I do not want to bend anything )and when it is not cutting and I am walking from hole to hole, the auger flighting and blade are spinning very fast...to the point where it is dangerous. I can apply the clutch lock and it stops, but as soon as I release it, it starts spinning very fast again. The are enough rpm's on it that the powerpoint will cut all the way into the ice before giving it any throttle. Any help with how to properly set the rpm's on this auger would be appreciated.

Thanks,

shawno

Also if it's only been fired up a few times this year run the auger while the blade guard is on and while running full throttle alternate between no choke and full choke to lubricate the carberator diaphram. The diaphrams sometimes dry out in storage over the summer.

Mine runs fine once its warmed up but starting cold I have to give it some throttle to get it to start.Any sugestions?I prime it 4times,choke and then have to sweeze the throttle lever about 1/3 to get it to start.91 oct./Amsoil 1:00/1/Startron. I did store it with gas but started it every month this summer.

I meant for shawno's problem.

Did yours do this last year? if you need to hold throtle open,probably to rich. Diaphargm seeping? You may benefit from just choke or no choke at all. Don't prime it.

Cold start I prime and choke, it starts in a 2-4 pulls in normal winter temps. after 1st start for the day depending on how long it has sat between runs and temp, it will typically start with little to no choke.

I've never taken anything inside ever in my whole life. if this is necessary might be more going on here than meets the eye.

shawno, The Tanaka seems to come with the idle set a little high.

Look real close at the idle speed set screw. The end should be against the throttle stop. Turn that screw out (counter clockwise)till your RPMs drop down to a good idle speed. That will get your idle down but if it were mime I have the carb off and cleaned.

The high idle and bog is likely a lean condition from a dirty carb. That is assuming the bog is happening after you've warmed up the engine.

You have a walbro diaphragm carb with a fixed jet. The only adjustment you have to make is setting the idle speed as I mentioned earlier.

Crappyfisherman, from what you said and answers to magic's questions it sounds like your not getting enough fuel to start. Compensating a dirty low speed circuit with throttle.

How is your idle and have you done any adjustments to the idle speed.

Again I'd clean the carb.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help everyone!

@Frank

Just so I am clear on what you are telling me...I should adjust the screw by the choke, not the ones inside the carb.

idlescrew_zps4604fb31.jpg

and these two screws under the carb cover should not be adjusted:

choke_zps3fcac590.jpg

I have never made any real adjustments since I bought the auger as it has always performed well. The other day I was out and I put a new blade on it and it definitely cut better, but I noticed some power loss again near the bottom of the hole. We have around 16" of ice here in SK now. Another issue I have noticed is that this auger is hard to start once it has cooled off. It was cold out ( -20C ) but it is taking many pulls to start. I am mixing my fuel ratio at about 70:1 with Amsoil. I had always mixed at the recommended 50:1 with Tanaka oil, but thought I would change things up to see if it would start easier. My auger when not in use is stored in my heated garage and is warm until it gets to the lake. It starts easy when warm, but poorly when cold.

Frank I will be sending you my other blade for sharpening shortly.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions...I appreciate it.

When I first got a Nils, I ran it at 60:1 with amsoil to break it in and had the same power problems you are mentioning. It would bog down and get stuck in the ice and this was happening like 1 out of every 5 or ten holes. I dumped the gas and started using amsoil at 80:1 or 100:1 and have never had that problem again.

Also had the same issues with cold starts... it was taking 20 or more pulls to get started. I have to start it a specific way each time. Full choke, primer bulb 3 to 5 times, hold the throttle wide open, and then short easy pulls. Never takes more than 5 pulls no matter how cold it is now.

Thanks for your help on this one guys.

I made an adjustment to the idle screw and it stopped the flighting from spinning. I also bumped my fuel:oil ratio to 100:1 from 70-80:1 and the performance was better. I also altered how I start my auger after sitting for awhile and it helped take the number of pulls to start down considerably. I think I will still look at cleaning the carb...but overall everything is much improved.

shawno