• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Defining a SLAB/PIG

amateurfishing

full-37274-28225-013.jpg

finally got out for first time this season this a.m. after tons of learning, reading, and some new equipment. had 3 bites in 4 hours which all in all is probably terrible but first 2 bites were 11 1/2 inch crappies (was wondering if they were considered slabs/pigs) and blew away my PB. third bite snapped line off so fast by the time i was trying to set the hook it was already gone. great to have quality over quantity for a change in my fishing life.

got to take my TB power noodle with okuma 2/3 for a first time test drive and play with some new lures.....when those agressive fish hit....they HIT!!

after all the info, videos, answered questions, & peeping in on other conversations, this site may have slowly created a monster

I would say great fish, absolutly a slab crapp. as for a pig, i have always considered a pig to be a fish so big its literally ugly, like when a sunfish gets that hump in its forehead... and a crappie when you pull it through the hole, and the fins touch on each side of ice hole... now there is a pig... but its all relative, i now live in southern mn, where an 8 in crappie is considered a pig... lol god help me move north....

Congrats! Those are awesome fish and like was said, depending on lake could be considered slabs or pigs! I had two 12"ers that were caught similar to your story about 15 years ago, they stood as my PB crappies for about 12 years until I finally lucked into a 14"er on a private lake.

Now I'm up on URL for a couple days and the second fish I caught this morning was a 13.25" crappie that was literally twice as thick as my 14", truely a pig.

For size reference since its kinda blurry, that white line right above the minnow tail by the reel handle is 10"

IMG_20121230_112518.jpg

IMG_20121230_112551.jpg

And again, congrats! Hopefully you have many more and bigger to come.

well considering these 2 were easily my PB and i have been fishing this lake for 4 years and have not caught any pannie remotely close to this size till now (previous best was 16 northern & 2 10 inch crappies last ice season) i'll count this as my first slab!! grin thx