• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for New member for our home

mabr

Anyone know of any pups coming up for sale in the western part of the state, preferably around the Alexandria area? I looked in the classifieds on here but none were recent.

Im looking for either a Golden R, Chocolate Lab, English springer or GSP.

Thats a pretty wide range of breeds you are considering. Generally someone who is considering a Golden Retriever doesn't also have a GSP on the list as well since they can be so different in terms of energy level not to mention temperment and hunting styles.

You may want to narrow your list down to the one or two breeds that fits exactly what you are looking for and then start calling breeders in your area. If they don't have a litter most good breeders know the other breeders in the area and should be able help connect you to someone who does have a litter coming.

You may find you need to travel a little to find the right breeder who has a litter coming available in the time frame you are looking for. I got lucky with my vizsla and only had to travel 30 minutes but I was prepared to travel several hours in any direction if I had to.

What are your plans for the dog? Hunting, just a family dog, competition of some sort? Are you looking for a high energy dog that will run all day or more of a mellow dog?

nofishfisherman, Yeah I know It's a wide range between them. I have had all of them at one time or another over the years with the exception of a Lab. And all were great dogs.

I've been struggling with what breed I want for 3 weeks because Im not sure how they will be used the most. Just moved to our retirement cabin in Alexandria area. I have limitless acreage where we live, have both ducks and pheasants within 200 yards no matter what direction I walk from my deck. I haven't duck hunted in over 25 years but I plan to next year, I also want to hunt pheasants as well. I know a Lab would be my best choice because of their versatility, BUT everyone has labs. At least yellows or blacks, I want to have something different. I may be wrong but i dont see nearly as many chocolates as the others that's why they are included in my list.

My last 2 dogs were Golden Retrievers. They weren't from puppy mills and were the 2 best family dogs I've owned, neither were hunted, i didn't ask it of them but I know they would have. I wish their breed hadn't become so popular, now you don't know what your getting without paying out the _-_- for one.

Whatever I buy, it will be a pet first and hunting partner second. Anyone know how a springer would be on ducks? Is it just in their training whether they will go to water?

I hear ya. All are great breeds just depends on what you are looking for. I think you're right on the chocolate labs, they do seem to be a little less common. If I were to own a lab it would also be a chocolare because I to like something a little different, also for versatilty a lab would be a great choice.

A Golden that will hunt seems to be harder and harder to come by due to all the backyard breeding. You really need to go to a good breeder so you know what you are getting but like you said they don't come cheap. My buddy got his Golden from someone who wanted to breed their dog because it was the "best" dog ever (like a lot of people think). Well the offspring that resulted from that breeding are nice dogs if you want one to lay around the house and hide whenever there is a loud noise. Not so much if you wanted a dog that can hunt and is able to work for more than a 1/2 hour before needing a 12 hour nap.

I have a vizsla, so similar to the GSP and I'm not sure I'd do any late season duck hunting with him. He's certainly willing to do it but I have to be careful with him in the cold. His drive will keep him going and keep him from paying attention to how cold he's getting so I have to be the one to tell him when its enough which isn't real long in cold temps. Maybe a GSP can handle the cold a little better since they tend to have a little more bulk but the coat is just as short.

I'd look to a Lab (I certainly would not put color as my number 1 criteria... but that's me. best breeding 1st, color way down the list), or a German Wirehaired Pointer. These two can handle some late season duck hunts. Next I'd still consider a well bred field Springer. I have one right now, hands down, a pheasant machine. He would duck hunt, but I'd hold him back after the 1st couple of weeks... they are not built for cold water rigors.

You can do the Golden (as noted watch your breeding) or shorthair. Both are great dogs, but if I was to start a search for a dog, the above list would be the order in which I'd search and these two would follow the 1st 3 based on your needs.

There are other breeds too that would be versatile breeds, but the dollars would be in the large sum to aquire a good one. And it sounds like the buy price is part of your criteria...

Good Luck!

Ken

Quote:
BUT everyone has labs. At least yellows or blacks, I want to have something different. I may be wrong but i dont see nearly as many chocolates as the others that's why they are included in my list.

You see alot of labs because of there trainablity, you also see mostly blacks because of sheer numbers with it being the dominant gene. Go to almost any retriever Field trial and if there are 200 dogs running there will be 185 labs 10 goldens and 5 chessies, or very close to it. And of the 185 labs 90% will be black some yellows and very few chocolates. It's much harder to find a nicely bred chocolate than it is a black dog. It's hard enough to get a really good black dog and most people aren't willing to take the risk on a brown dog, in the FT world. You do see quiet a few more in the HT game, if you do your home work and look in the right direction you can find a decently bred dog with all health clearences. By looking in the right direction I mean check out retriever sites and stay away from newspaper adds most of these dogs are unproven and most do noy have ANY health clearences. Same goes for goldens buy a pup from proven parents in the FT or HT game and you should end up with a good healthy dog that will excell in the field and in the home. But be willing to pay much more than the run of the mill newspaper dog. Send me a PM if your interested I can point you in the right direction for both breeds.

Great read you guys. Wish I knew more about each breed. I believe I have what I want in my Black Lab. Not asking for much either, but for folks who hunt them and have different working need this is great stuff. Thanks for the education. My Mr. Boyd don't hunt but he can find me antlers and pull a loaded one man fish house. Great friend indeed and we love him. grin

Hope you find what your looking for.

I live by Alex and have a couple litters planned. You can look me up at Blue River Gundogs. We are springer only people here. No more pointers or labs. Had em for years. We train all the time, your welcome here to train your pup and have fun. Get in touch if you like. I can always help you find a nice dog as well. Good luck, Ken

Thanks for the offer Ken, I actually talked to you last week asking if you had any. I just might take you up on coming out and watching and learning from your training if you dont mind.

I ended up finding a Springer after alot of calling around. Time will tell but but by all signs so far I think he's going to be a good partner for me. Sure is smart for his age I know that. And not afraid on anything or any situation Ive had him in yet. Even an 8" ice auger hole he managed to dive head first in this weekend.

Check out Sauk River Kennels in Osakis. Great people. I will be having a litter of pointing labs in the spring but they will be all yellows. Lite and darker. Yellows. Also check out Holzinger kennels.

Good luck to u