• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Have you ever used a pit blind for deer hunting?

I have an area of private land I'm allowed to hunt. The thing is there are no trees or cover of any kind (sufficient enough to hide a human form) and it sits in the center of 5 fields and a large section of woods (which I do not have access to). There is also an elevation change of roughly 50-60 ft. This is in a Shot Gun only area with no chance of being struck by errant shots. This area is filthy with trails and sign. I tried hunting from the ground but it was to easy for the deer to pick me off long before they entered shooting range, any thoughts?

Could maybe work, but....

You'll still need to have the proper amount of blaze orange on the blind (above ground I would assume)

It's not going to be easy to see very far out of it.

It's not ideal to be shooting at an upward angle. Where are any missed shots going to end up?

I would be at the high point of the area with clear sight lines in every direction (except my direction of entry which would be at the begining of the down slope)out to at least 250 yards(ranged). There would be no upward shots. AS far as constructing something more permanent, thats probably out. I can get away with digging a hole but building, I think would be out.

Is this an area where you could put something more permanant up, above ground?

I'm with Nowiser in thinking if you put an above ground blind up in the spring or even right now, the deer will get used to it with no movement/action and by next hunting season, it will be just be part of the landscape.

Could also plant some bushes or quick growing trees nearby to mask its presence. (depending on how much liberty you have with the property).

I'd think some sort of semi-permanent blind would be better than digging a big hole to hide in. Bring the blind out before the season to give them time to get use to it and then remove it after the season. I think that would be more comfortable and effective then sitting in a hole.

Interesting, some photo's of what you're talking about would be huge, I'd get close to where they must enter these fields from someplace with some sort of consistency, these fields nearly sound like they are irrigated ? If so use that as a stand, if not I'd need to see pictures of this area, remember these deer are likely to make heavy sign primarily after dark, how big are these fields and there's 0 fencelines, 0 irrigation hmmm. Are they crossing gravel roads or field roads ? Are there unplanted corners in any of the fields, interesting.

Almost sounds like you need cover on one side of you as if you can see the deer from a good distance, not that they can't see you but getting on the other side of something would be good, try a salt block at a 100 yards, maybe that doe will remember it and bring him out there for ya, our best ground blind is basically some old dead limbs and brush, cost is 0. And or put that stuff up around your ground blind, I'm assuming your concern about theft is it can be seen from a road, most neighboring landowners I would hope would leave you and the blind alone.

It not the local land owners I'm worried about, their stand up guys. I got lucky once this spring already. On a close by piece of land I had a camera out and the thief was kind enough to only steal my memory card. It really is a sweet spot. Most of the deer I was lucky enough to see this year where located in this area ,but I got busted to easily. I may have to revert back to my days in the military and dig myself a fox hole. Not the most comfortable but I think it would make this spot very productive. I can do without comfort for a good spot, I've been know to lay prone in cut corn fields in late november to take advantage of certain choke points when conditions are right

Pretty wild skee, whatever you end up trying just be careful, actually when I really analyze it, I'd have a great spot to try a pit also during cut corn years like this one the farmer did not want to plow or even disc it as it was so mega dry, he said he's going to wait, it would've been pit perfect really, use corn stalks to hide it better and have a great view at 100-200 yards max and a great backdrop his swamp in the background, plus my dad said once deer hunting ended the geese have been and still are piling into that field.

Now that's pretty ingenious, the ghost blind.That certainly has its place in the field. I just don't know where Id put my heater an recliner, its got no roof an missing 3 sides so it'd get pretty cold. But other than that it seem like it would work, if a guy really wants to hunt that way. Sitting out there in the elements no heat or comfy chair, cant roast hot dogs or listen to the radio, what fun is that.