• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Taking children fishing?

Sam Smith

What age do you put tip ups out for children. My son is now four and I took him out several times last winter when he was three. He loves it as long as he can stay warm. I did have several people not happy that I had tip ups out for him. He hooks up about 1 out 10 flags. Any thoughts?

Maybe try quick strike rig to help with hooking the fish. I brought my son out tip up fishing when he was 4 or 5 and i would set the hook and then let him pull it up.

I am not sure why people would get upset with him having tip ups. His success rate sounds a lot like when I used to bring my ex wife

If he can:

-hold a rod and fight a 6'' bluegill

-grab the line and even attempt to set the hook on a tipup

I have no problem with you running lines for him!

I do take issue with taking a 1 year old in a boat and having an extra line for trolling, but if the kid is able to make an attempt at fishing, by all means please take him out as young as you can!! Bring a camera laugh

When my kids could manage their own rod or tip-up (pull line to set hook) is when I started to count them with their own line. They were around 5. This way if a CO checked on us, I could say they are managing their own lines.

I can see where people would get upset if the kids cannot manage their own equipment.

I plan on taking my GF and her 3yr old daughter with me this winter. She can reel in her own sunnies with her Spiderman combo (which is in the rod bag ready to go) but I never thought of tipups and I think I'll just stick with the 1 hole in the shack for her. Heck I don't know if mom can handle a tipup. She struggles taking the hook out of a sunnie still. Good laughs!

It doesn't matter if they miss every fish. Any time spent fishing with the kids is good time spent. I am guessing those guys that were mad did not have kids or if they did, never took them fishing. If the kid is having fun chasing flags, that is great. It's about making memories.

kids r great....took my son (6 last year) & he wants to go again, am even planning on taking my 3 1/2 year old daughter sometime cause she loved the boat and loves looking at the fish at c's store. my son can easily handle his own line even though the sport is still new & i will be spending lots of time teaching/showing him. if i bring out my daughter she will b using my line as it will just be for experience, fun times, & learning for her. she did hook a sunny on a fishing pier late this fall, i lightly helped her reel it in & when she saw the fish she screamed so loud (happy scream) you woulda thought she hurt herself. she actually had just as much fun playin with the crawlers. nuttin wrong with takin the kids but just have to remember it is their time, not yours. if they have accidents, get bored, cold, etc. its time to quit.

Please tell me what these guys had to say. I thank you for taking your child fishing. Tipups could be a good way of adding some action. A person can still catch and release if you want. My daughter and I fish alot. She is turning 4 in a couple of days. We mostly fish panfish. We keep some and let many go with a kiss.

Please tell me what these guys had to say. I thank you for taking your child fishing. Tipups could be a good way of adding some action. A person can still catch and release if you want. My daughter and I fish alot. She is turning 4 in a couple of days. We mostly fish panfish. We keep some and let many go with a kiss.

Sam, if someone gives you dump and he is actually trying to get his own fish tell them to go stuff it. Not in front of him though... Sounds to me like the kind of people I wouldn't want fishing by me...or my 6yr old daughter. My daughter has fished for several years and holds her own now, but she had her time where she needed much more help. She still won't put bait on, but then again that's what I am there for anyways. She took an attempt at her first tip-up last year on LOW, and with mommy's help a nice walleye was up the hole. I can vouch the smile was just as big when we were eating fish and told her that she was eating one that she caught! Kids on any lake are our future fisherman, shame on anyone who takes away a great experience from any child, and should be ahamed of themselves!

My oldest son started fishing when he was 3 years old and my youngest son started fishing this year at 2 1/2 years old. Circle hook and a snoopy pole and they are good to go. The 2 1/2 year old caught a 17" walleye on Leech this year all by himself. The trick to little kids fishing is you bring plenty of toys, snacks and minnows to play with. When they say they are bored and want to go in.....GO IN. Make them think it was a positive experience and they will continue to want to go. I don't think I have caught a fish myself when they are in the boat in 2 years, they reel in every fish and I couldn't be happier.

The trick to little kids fishing is you bring plenty of toys, snacks and minnows to play with. When they say they are bored and want to go in.....GO IN. Make them think it was a positive experience and they will continue to want to go.

This is excellent advice. My experience has been similar. For most kids just being on the ice is neat. Make it fun for them and they'll want to come out in the future too. But when they are getting tired and cold it's time to go. I've brought out kites to fly, footballs to throw, etc. as well. When a flag goes up set the hook and let them pull it in. I've not had as much luck with the little ones using rods and reels, but I've used the old jiggle sticks and had them pull in the line with a flopping sunnie on the end. It's all fun and you're making good memories with the family. Don't forget the camera!

I think the issue may be the number of lines used.

Take the kids fishing and have fun. As many have pointed out, if they can't handle their own line then they fish your holes. When "you" get a fish let them work it so they can learn.

They get their own holes when they can work their own line.

Based on previous discussions on here, CO's would probably count the number of lines available based on the childs ability to handle the line.

It all depends on context. If the kid is off running around and you got extra tip ups out and all the kid is a warm body on the ice for extra tip ups- then no pull the gear.

If you're fostering and mentoring the child and using each flag as a learning experience, and each rod out there means that there is an increased chance for a hook up- then yes put the stuff out.

Officer discretion goes a long ways in this situation.

Good one...I will attest that my 6yr old schooled all 4 adults when fishing LOW last year and is already asking when she is going back to the lake so she can teach me how to catch more walleyes...lol One of life's greatest moments to cherish for a lifetime!

Took my son Noah (4 years old) out for the first time this winter. We had one flag and he lost a 20-25 inch pike at the whole. He was way more excited this time and he didn't even catch the fish I think he has got the itch early. We only fished for an hour Noah was so mad when we had to pull the tip ups he said "Dad fishing is way better than work lets just keep fishing and you can work tomorrow."

My son is now four and I took him out several times last winter when he was three. He loves it as long as he can stay warm. I did have several people not happy that I had tip ups out for him. He hooks up about 1 out 10 flags. Any thoughts?

Geez, are you serious??! Who cares if he misses every fish?? He's gonna learn by doing, eveyone has to start somewhere, and as long as he has fun, let him pull as many flags as he wants! You've got him on the ice at the perfect age, before the Xbox or the PlayStation takes hold and turns his brain into oatmeal...

as for other people getting upset that you have tip ups out for him....man, I just don't know what is wrong with some people these days. confused