• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wood stove in a spear house?

northerndave

Funny you mention this as I just went back to a wood stove in the spear shack.

I remembermy dads spear shack and it had a wood stove in it and that was part of the spearing experience that I remember so I decided to go back to that ty[e of heating for my perm. Now we just need good ice to use it.

You're right Gordie, its part of the experience, and for me maybe a little tradition. I've been spearing since I was 4, strapped to the wall. Its always been wood. The feel of wood heat is much nicer IMO. I have one and both of my dad's and brother's houses have wood. Another plus is that my fuel is free!! Now I'm off to the shack:)

You're right Gordie, its part of the experience, and for me maybe a little tradition. I've been spearing since I was 4, strapped to the wall. Its always been wood. The feel of wood heat is much nicer IMO. I have one and both of my dad's and brother's houses have wood. Another plus is that my fuel is free!! Now I'm off to the shack:)

I need to travel to the ed of the road grin

Not everybody thinks like that Gordie, the nostalgic connections you referred to...

I do, it's probably why I like a flathead V8 ford in an old hotrod instead of a small block chevy. grin

It's kind of interesting to me and my oldest boy as we sketch out plans for a spear house he wants to get started on this weekend.

We have plans drawn both ways, with and without the wood stove.

I realize a 4x8 house isn't much to heat. And a wood stove could cook us out, but there won't be a glow like you might have from a buddy heater.... Yes I know there are shrouded vented lp stoves that would be good for a dark house. But the wood stove thing is interesting and I may throw one together just for fun. If we don't like it, no big deal.

It will make a big difference if you get an airtight wood stove. You can control them so much better so you don't cook yourself out.

I thought about putting 1 in my perm house. I heat the house I live in with wood nothing beats the feeling of a wood fire on a cold day.

Wood all the way for me. I've used both, but I will never go back to propane again. Wood is cheaper, better heat, and not as "fussy" as most think to control in terms of restocking the fire or cooking yourself out. I get a fire going first thing, then clean my hole out and get set to go--by then I am getting the start of a nice base of coals going and I add a block of wood. MAYBE every half hour or so after that I add another small block. It takes five seconds and I am back to spearing. A chimney vent and a vent on the front of the stove are there for any minor tweaks you need to make and you can keep it any temp you want...from "sweatshirt comfortable" to "shirt off" sauna... Some things don't need to be improved upon, and wood heat is one of those, IMO, in terms of the spear shack.

This is all really good to hear.

I have a 30# propane tank at home that has a small pin hole in it so we don't use it anymore. I could make a little box style stove but that little tank would make a really cool pot belly style of stove. We could use it in one of our big tents that we take on out of state hunts too.

(No I won’t blow myself up)

lol!

Yeah give it a try! It's easy to over-build your stove though. My brother built one that he thought was the right size and it turned out big enough to heat a small garage! Mine is 8" wide, 8" tall and 11" long. Perfect for my 4X8 spear shack. Good luck and have fun with it.

I only use propane now, because it is easier to control the temp. I've had wood but it always seemed too hot or too cold. It always seemed like the big northern would come right when you were putting another chunck of wood on the fire. I still have my wood stove and maybe someday I will use it again for the fun of it. As long as you stay warm, either way is better then no heat.

Well, I pulled the hat off an old 30 pounder.

Resampled_2012-12-14_19-33-53_525.jpg

Filled with water for a safe cut.

Resampled_2012-12-14_19-34-01_867.jpg

I'm putting this flat plate on top for a cooking surface.

Resampled_2012-12-14_19-34-29_599.jpg

That's all for tonight.

I'll post more through the weekend as we continue work on my boy's new house and the little stove (which is probably too large)

grin

I realize a 4x8 house isn't much to heat. And a wood stove could cook us out, but there won't be a glow like you might have from a buddy heater.... Yes I know there are shrouded vented lp stoves that would be good for a dark house. But the wood stove thing is interesting and I may throw one together just for fun. If we don't like it, no big deal.

If for some reason you don't like that stove let me know I can take it off your hands, it turned out sweet.